4.0 update: latest designs we have been testing

4.0 update: latest designs we have been testing

by Candice Diemer -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everyone, 

Over the past 4-6 weeks, the UX team has been designing and prototyping a number of proof of concepts for the 4.0 projects. A Proof of Concept (POC) is a small exercise to test the design idea or assumption. The main purpose of developing a POC is to demonstrate the purpose and potential of a solution and to verify a certain concept or theory that can be achieved in development. 

Prototyping is a valuable exercise that allows the designer to visualise how the product will function, it is a working interactive model of the end product that gives an idea of the design, navigation and layout.  While a POC shows that a product or feature can be developed, a prototype shows how it will be developed.

During this time of ideation and prototype development, we have also been rapidly testing our ideas with end users. We wanted to test early and fail fast! And we have learnt so much during this research phase thanks to all our community research volunteers. 

We would like to share with you these initial UX prototypes that we have started on. Based on the research we have just performed, we will be refining them over the coming 2 weeks. We will share with you a new update that demonstrates these new changes being incorporated into the designs, preparing them for the next round of usability testing (beginning in a week). 

As always, feel free to share your thoughts and ideas and don't forget to sign up to usability testing to part of the next study! 

Candice & the UX team

Prototype link: https://t0vat9.axshare.com/

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Candice Diemer

Re: 4.0 update: latest designs we have been testing

by Tim Hunt -
Just to say that I did the usability test this morning and it was intereseting and fun, and took well under an hour. If you have been considering it, but not sighed up yet, you should go for it! smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Candice Diemer -
Hi Tim!

Thank you so much for being part of the journey with us!
Your participation in 4.0 has been invaluable to the team and we have incorporated the helpful feedback we gathered from you during the session into the next design iteration.

Regards,
Candice
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chad Outten -
+1 the usability testing for 4.0 was a worthwhile process to be a part of. Definitely recommended.

by Naomi Quirke -
My 2c on the Oct update video: I love the change in terminology to cut/copy/paste. The smoothness of moving activities around and between courses is wonderful. I like the easy addition of activities before or after an existing one, so much easier than adding and moving. I thought the editing icons were quite hard to see/distinguish, at least in the video.

by Lee Hasson -

What's the plan for the Native apps? There are some really unacceptable UX issues. One example is that you can't currently progress from a finished lesson to the next on the lesson (clearly a thorn for me). 

In any event, I would love to work with you guys on that. 

by Moien Abadi -
Hi Candice
I signed up the usability testing from. It's my pleasure to be part of helpers/tester as a RTL user ;)
Also I engaged with prototype, it a little difficult to find a way between the space that You were used to it and the space that new and more convenient.

I will leave some feedbacks, and I hope it be useful.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hello team

I've seen your video presentation. Good job, lots of great ideas.
Some aspects:
  • large courses with lots of topics and activities create an endless site. How can we reduce the length?
  • Most courses are created with topics and activities from the first to the last  day of the courses. If there is a long course the student has to  scroll to death to go the actual topics of the course.
    Ideas: reverse course order or hide completed activities/topics
  • Mark topics as complete if all activities in a topic are completed.
  • Students and teachers like tiles for topics or activities a lot. Teachers in primary schools try to hide the text based elements complete and replace them by pictures links to activities. Corporates are asking for a netflix similar view and navigation.  Is it possible to offer an alternative view with less texts.
  • The activity description is shown on the  course site. The activity description is sometimes very long.  I.e. assignments. The description field  is the description of the task. This may be 20-50 lines long. It makes no sense to show this text completely on the course site. Same when the description includes one or multiple videos.
In my understanding there is a new course type.  Will 3rd party course types work as in Moodle 3.x?
Will it be possible to add blocks in the course topics area?
Take care about accessibility. We are getting more and more questions about accesibility from German clients from NGO, governmental organisations and corporates.

Regards
Ralf
from eLeDia in Berlin
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Are there any ideas how to reduce the length of the course site in large courses?
There are discussions also at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=424936 and in https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-71856

We've clients with courses with 50 topics and these courses are miles long. If they use activity completion the course will double the length. This is not user friendly.
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Sander Bangma -
Hi Ralf,

I appreciate your input. The new course index component has been designed to be able to quickly navigate anywhere in the course, also for large courses. The user will be able to jump to each section or activity directly from the course index without having to scroll all the way there.

You can see the course index in this UX prototype (note that work is in progress on the prototype so it may not fully function as expected). A first version of the course index in a Moodle implementation can be found in MDL-71209.

We're aware of the concern about the completion check boxes being removed in 3.11 (MDL-71856). This change was initiated as part of the 3.11 changes to activity completion with the UX designs for 4.0 in mind. Activities will be displayed in a card like format, as you can also see in the UX prototype above. In the new design the old checkboxes would not work as well. One option is to find a way to display activity completion status in the new course index, e.g. indicated with check boxes or ticks. This needs further consideration still.