The Great Bug Purge of 2020

The Great Bug Purge of 2020

by Andrew Lyons -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello everyone,

You may have noticed that our dedicated testing team are currently going through a number of older bugs to determine whether these are still current bugs. As part of this they are attempting to follow the replication instructions and replicate the issue. Issues that cannot be replicated will be closed with an appropriate message.

If one of your issues has been closed and you feel that this was incorrect, this probably means that the replication instructions were unclear, incomplete, or no longer current. You can comment on the issue with updated replication instructions, and re-open the issue as appropriate.

Now would be a great time to have a look at some of your older issues to check that your replication instructions are clear, current, and complete. You may even be able to close a few issues yourself!

Thanks all,

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

Re: The Great Bug Purge of 2020

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In theory, this is a really great plan.

Unforunately, the second of my old bugs that was re-tested in this way (MDL-18498) had really clear steps to reproduce, and if you follow those steps now, the issue can be reproduced. However, it was still closed.

Luckly, I have re-open permissions.

But please can you have a rapid retrospective of this, before too many other mistakes are made.

Edit: MDL-28497
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sander Bangma -
Just summarising some of the discussion re this topic that happened in the dev chat, for those who aren't there.

We appreciate the feedback.

The team discovered that one of the issues was closed incorrectly (one of Tim's in fact).

And that discovery led to Andrew's forum post above.

On our side we have limited resources and can't re-test every single issue. Hence we invoked the help of our remote test team to assist. A key reason for wanting to close issues we can't reproduce is the significant number of open issues in tracker and we want to reduce the 'noise' so we can better focus attention.

Clearly that process isn't perfect. Which is why the message posted when closing an issue comes with encouragement to let us know if the issue is indeed still persisting and to clarify test instructions where possible.

Ultimately though, we will need the help of all the community to make some significant inroads into this cleaning up process. Which is why I do think that Andrew's msg where the developers / community who have open issues help us check and close where appropriate, is likely the best and most effective approach to do this in a sustainable manner.

This is a process we are trying out - and hopefully we can improve it. If it ultimately doesn't work we'll try something different.

I'd welcome any community suggestions on alternative ways of doing this too.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Sander Bangma

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I just hope that "Great bug purge" is not only meant to close old bug tracker items which are not relevant anymore.

I think it would be extremely useful to understand this in the way handle and correct much bugs (as soon as possible).

Because each open bug means :

• a problem (potentially) encounterred by students/teachers/administrators
  • problem can have (big) bad implications (which can be really bad)
  • a bad impression about Moodle
  • time spent to find explaination, searching and asking on forums and tracker...
  • time spent to find a solution (which is sometimes not the best one)
  • potentially creation of duplicates in tracker, meaning more time lost to make links and close these items...

So, correcting bugs allows the whole community to gain (much) time, have a better impression of the product, and have much time to work on other things.

I think that, sometimes, we should perhaps not include (much) new functionnalities in Moodle, but take time to correct much bugs.

Séverin

PS : in 2007, a Bugathon was organised. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make new ones wink

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah, I agree in general. Unfortunately, I have found that even when people patch bugs, it can take quite a while and/or lots of targeted bugging to get the component lead to review it, which is a required part of the ticket process. From the outside, it doesn't feel like bug fixes get a high priority from HQ.
That is of course not saying they don't care, or don't try - it's just that the competing priority of new features seems to frequently win out for actual person-hour resources.
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would also think that when reproducing, the 'affects version' should be updated. That would be a good indication that it is still a current issue. Take Tims issue - it still just lists 1.9.12 and 2.0.3 as the versions is affects, which, to me, it... useless information.

Maybe that's just me though.
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Eric, I agree that it's helpful to update the affects version, assuming you have the rights to edit the issue. If not, mentioning in a comment that the issue can be reproduced in version 3.9.2 or whatever is good.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)