Worshop for groups

Worshop for groups

by Zabelle Motte -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello,

I have been reading discussions about possibilities for mixing worshop and groups.
I learned it is possible to use group mode in different ways.
Imagine we have 4 groups : Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D.

• "Separate groups" group mode enables teacher force attributions within groups; this means membres of Group A will only review productions of Group A;
  • "Visible groups" group mode with option "Prevent reviews by peers from the same group" enables teacher to force attribution in another group; this means membres of Group A will review productions of groups B, C, D with random attribution among production of these groups; it can arise that one student in Group A has to review productions all coming from Group B.
Could you please first confirm I clearly understood the group mode impact on worshop activity ?

I read that a lot of people hope the worshop module to work with group productions reviewed by groups but this is not a simple development. The teacher in my institution also dream about it wink

But it would already be great to add an option that helps to have better attribution mixing with groups, that would work so :
  • "Visible groups" group mode with option "Force reviews in different groups as much as possible"; this would mean that if members of group A have 3 reviews to be assigned; they would have one review in Group B, one review in Group C and one review in group D.
I know this option will be a puzzle to implement when the number of reviews does not match exactly the numer of groups minus 1; but it would already be great to implement it only for the case when this condition is matched ... The option could be called "Force reviews in different groups" and appear only in that case.

That is an idea that arises while playing with the workshop module with some teachers in my institution ...

With big thanks for this very powerfull plugin.

Kisses

Zabelle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zabelle Motte

Re: Worshop for groups

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Zabelle.

Could you please first confirm I clearly understood the group mode impact

Yes, that is generally correct.

Force reviews in different groups as much as possible

Unless there is a hidden bug, that is what the current algorithm already does. It's been a while (wow time flies!) since the details of the random allocation were published, but the process is well described in the attachment to the post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=128473 and it hasn't changed since then.

Please let me suggest to go through that attachment and let us know if it makes things clearer.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Zabelle Motte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Thank you very much for you rapid answer David 😘

So I try to have a new summary of the situation (that I intend to paste in the Moodle documentation so that it is becomes clear for everybody) ...

Imagine we have 4 groups : Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D.

• "Separate groups" group mode enables teacher force attributions within groups; this means membres of Group A will only review productions of Group A;
  • "Visible groups" group mode enables teacher to force attributions as much as possible to different groups; if a Group A member has to do 5 reviews, he will receive at least 1 review of each group A, B , C , D; it may arise that the mixing rule is not fully respected because the algorithm tries each production to have the same amount of reviews; the best situation for the mixing algorithm is to have groups that have the same number of members;
  • "Visible groups" group mode with option "Prevent reviews by peers from the same group" enables teacher  to force attributions as much as possible to different groups but avoids attribution in the same group; if a Group A member has 5 reviews to do, he will receive at least 1 review of each group B, C, D and no review of group A; the same limit on the mixing rule may also be noticed as in the previous case.
Is this right, David ?

Thank you for helping us to benefit from the full workshop potentiality !

Zabelle
In reply to Zabelle Motte

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Even though I am usually cautious with generalizing rules like this, I think the said description is right.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Lukáš H -

Sorry to bring this up again but I just want to make sure: do "separate groups" in workshop really work in the way that Group A students get submissions only from other Group A students to review if random allocation or scheduled allocation is used? 

The reason I'm asking is that I've read a number of threads and articles about this and the information is either not quite clear or conflicting. For example, one thread from this very forum (Moodle in English: Random allocation for separate groups) says that even in "separate groups" students get submissions to review from other groups if random allocation is used. The thread is closed now but it seems the issue didn't get resolved. 

Or this manual Microsoft Word - Manage Workshop Quick Guide.docx (uow.edu.au) specifically says: "There is no option available in Workshop to manage submission and review of an individual’s allocated work within a group. Students can be excluded from the same group reviewing each other’s work but they can't be prevented from reviewing the work of students in other groups." (page 13)

Some of the suggestions are to create multiple workshops, which is highly impractical in my case. I really only need Group A students reviewing submissions of other Group A students.

In reply to Lukáš H

by David Mudrák -

I really only need Group A students reviewing submissions of other Group A students.

That is what Separate groups mode in Workshop should do.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)