How to properly manual delete the remaining 'assignfeedback_editpdf' after uninstalling the AnnotatePDF plugin

Re: How to properly manual delete the remaining 'assignfeedback_editpdf' after uninstalling the AnnotatePDF plugin

by Achim Raphael -
Number of replies: 8

This is a longer known, annoying bug in this plugin:
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-69570

I can't understand why it isn't still not fixed.
In our moodle we have to clean up these orphaned files (10GB every week) continuously with moosh and bash-shellscripts. sad

In reply to Achim Raphael

Re: How to properly manual delete the remaining 'assignfeedback_editpdf' after uninstalling the AnnotatePDF plugin

by Hariharasudhan A S -
Hi, I am facing the same problem. Could you please share the script your are using. Thanks
In reply to Hariharasudhan A S

by Achim Raphael -
Hi

The scripts are too specific to our installation to share them, but I can tell you how I do it:

First I get a list of the ids of all courses in the category, from which I want to purge all editpdf-files:
moosh -n -p $moodlepath -c $catid | awk -F, '{ print $1 }' | tr -d \" >$tmpfile
(You can use moosh -n category-list $category-name to find a categories id)

Then I scan these courses for the editpdf-files:

rm $editpdffiles 2>/dev/null
i=0
while read -r cid; do
i=$((i + 1))
[ $i -eq 1 ] && continue;
moosh -n -p $moodlepath file-list course=$cid \
| grep -e "assignfeedback_editpdf" \
| grep -v -e ":stamps:" \
>>$editpdffiles
done < $tmpfile

This gives a list of all these files. Here a sample line:
1581580 0 .... f111716a9e35eea8aa735106e3cba13857eae832 Saturday, 10. April 2021, 10:13 77645:assignfeedback_editpdf:combined:40147 combined.pdf
---

You can now purge all these files (or filter them before by date as I do)
cat $editpdffiles | moosh -n -p $moodlepath file-delete -s

Hope it helps a bit.

But be careful and check all twice, so you not delete something wrong wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hariharasudhan A S

by Christian Stickel -

I don't have moosh installed, so my approach is different, although still using bash. It assumes that you have a separate DB Server to connect through ssh, but that can be changed easily. The select statement creates a deletelist shellscript which is then executed and removes the physical files. Afterwards the db entries in mdl_files are removed.

mytime="1 YEAR"
sqluser"yourusername"
sqlPW="yourpassword"

#create deletelist script
ssh user@yourserver "mysql -u$sqluser -p$sqlPW yourmoodle_db -e \"SELECT DISTINCT CONCAT('rm -f /path/to/moodledata/filedir/', LEFT(mdl_files.contenthash, 2),'/', MID(mdl_files.contenthash, 3, 2),'/', mdl_files.contenthash,';') AS shellscript FROM mdl_files WHERE component = 'assignfeedback_editpdf' AND timecreated < UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE_SUB(NOW(),INTERVAL $mytime));\"" > clear.sh;

#modify and execute deletelist script
sed -i '1d' clear.sh
chmod +x clear.sh
/path/to/clear.sh;

#delete database entries
ssh user@yourserver "mysql -u$sqluser -p$sqlPW yourmoodle_db -e \"DELETE FROM mdl_files WHERE component = 'assignfeedback_editpdf' AND timecreated < UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE_SUB(NOW(),INTERVAL $mytime));\"";

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Christian Stickel

by Achim Raphael -
Nice.
Is anyone able to write a moodleplugin doing this?
Then this could be used via backend by those who don't have access to the server.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Tyler Bogdan -
I've done a bit of cleaning of these files (ones that are 4-5 years old) but it still makes me nervous to do so. What exactly are their purpose? We actively use AnnotatePDF and I don't want to delete files that are being relied upon for the plugin to function or for students to view feedback on their assignments.
In reply to Tyler Bogdan

by Achim Raphael -

by Jose Miralles -
Hi there!
Is there any fix now of this issue without coding for those we are afraid of doing it?

by Johnny Lo -
We are running 3.11.9+ on IIS and MS SQL 2019. Can anyone provide a quick guideline on how to merge the fix to the current local branch? I started to use Git to upgrade moodle a couple of times already but can definitely use some guidiance in merging fixes.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)