coursecreator in course context

coursecreator in course context

by Leonard Michlmayr -
Number of replies: 2

At our platform all teachers have the global role coursecreator as to be able to create their own courses. This works fine as far as I can tell.

The problem occurs when I add one of the teachers to a course: the teacher will be marked as coursecreator for that course, the role cannot be removed manually. I do not understand how that happens and how to fix this. I have reverted to default permissions for the corsecreator role using moodle 3.9.2, but I have the problem since 3.7 iirc.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leonard Michlmayr

Re: coursecreator in course context

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Leonard,

This is the way it works. When a user has a role at the system level, such as Manager or Course creator, and are also enrolled in a course in a course level role, then the Participants list in the course shows both the system level roles and the course level roles.

This is useful in case you have a system level role and a course level role that may conflict on certain permissions and you need to troubleshoot the issue. For example, you may have a system level role that allows someone to see but not edit grades and this is not working properly when they are also a teacher in the course. You want to be able to see what roles are "above" the course at the system level since those permissions are inherited.

In the case of the standard Course creator role, this is a system level / category level role only - by defintion. It would make no sense to have a Course creator role at the Course level since you have to be outside of the course to create a new course. There is no conflict of permissions in this case between Course creator and Teacher. Everything is working fine, as you say.

So, the teacher is not "marked as course creator for that course" -- what you are seeing is the system level role being inherited and shown in the Participants list.

I hope this is clear.

Randy
Average of ratings: Useful (1)