Moodle SCORM to NHS's ESR

Moodle SCORM to NHS's ESR

by Mark Cox -
Number of replies: 1

Hello All,

First of all I should say that I am a newbie and I am still educating myself on the black arts of Moodle!

I work for an NHS hospital in the UK and we are hoping to use Moodle to transmit SCORM to the NHS's staff record service called ESR. I have read see on the documentation part on Moodle.org that "Moodle does not produce SCORM", however I have spoken to a few of my counterparts at other hospitals and they have said to me that it is possible to transmit SCORM to an outside source from Moodle.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and can explain it in layman's terms! 😀

Many thanks,

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Cox

Re: Moodle SCORM to NHS's ESR

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Moodle is a "SCORM Player" - so you can upload SCORM packages and get it to play the scorm files and record progress from your users.

You need 2 things for this to work.
1) allow your users to authenticate to Moodle - and store in Moodle something specific for that user that is also in your ESR system (employee number/email address or something that ESR "understands"

2) Export completion or grade to your ESR system using one of the existing plugins.

But - before then you'll need to install moodle... my experience with organisations in the public health sector is that you are often under-staffed/ IT resources stretched - so it's incredibly important to partner with someone else to provide your Moodle hosting and regular updates to the latest version - someone needs to be patching that site every 2 months (or more often) and scheduling in yearly or bi-yearly major upgrades.

Recently modern web browsers (chrome / firefox etc) made a number of changes that "Broke SCORM" in Moodle and we updated Moodle to fix it, but a lot of organisations running their own site (installed by someone who has since left the organisation) and unable to upgrade to the recent supported release is quite high and you'll see a few of these people in the forums complaining about SCORM not working in their sites.

I'd highly reccomend you find a local Moodle partner and ask them to help with setting up your Moodle site - they will also be able to help you connect Moodle to your ESR system so you can pull accross your user completions/grades.

Good luck!!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)