Back type in moodle cron job

Back type in moodle cron job

by rajitha hewabandula -
Number of replies: 10

Hi all,

May I know the type of backup (full, incremental or differential) of moodle cron job relates to this,

https://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Cron#Testing_cron_and_manual_trigger

Rajitha

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rajitha hewabandula

Re: Back type in moodle cron job

by rajitha hewabandula -
I am still waiting for a reply on this.

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Maybe because your question is unclear - I've read it through several times and I can't see any connection between:

a) advice to test the cron after the installation of a new site is complete AND

b) backup of any type (full, incremental or differential)

In reply to Davo Smith

by rajitha hewabandula -

Hi Davo,

I meant what is the type of backup method it takes place when moodle backup cron job run?

Hope you are more clear now...Tnx

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
OK - that's a bit clearer.

When the automated_backup_task scheduled task runs, it generates a backup file for each of the courses on the site.

All courses will be backed up, with the following exceptions:
* If the backup process runs out of time, then it will resume with the next course on the list, next time the process runs.
* If a course is unavailable to students and has not been changed in the last 31 days, then it will be skipped.

See: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Automated_course_backup

Note - your question isn't really related to the development of Moodle code or plugins, so would be better in the "General help" or "Backup and restore" forum.
In reply to Davo Smith

by rajitha hewabandula -

Thanks for the update. So the next time back up runs , it is a incremental backup, right?

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is no such thing as an incremental or differential backup in Moodle.  The courses are always backed up completely. In the configuration of automatic backups one can choose to exclude logs - users - ..., but there is no option to backup up only the changed modules or users.

In reply to Renaat Debleu

by rajitha hewabandula -

Hi Renaat,

What is the scenario, when backup runs for the 2nd time having set the cron job to run every 5 mints. I am bit confused over whether it is incremental or full backup? This is very important as it is critical with the available space..

Many thanks again...

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Backups are not created every time you run the cron job but they follow the scheme you create on the Automated backup setup page (Site administration->Courses->Backups->Automated backup setup). So you can only create 1 full backup every day, but you can also configure to keep the Maximum number of backups kept (default = 1).

In reply to Renaat Debleu

by rajitha hewabandula -

Hi Renaat,

Many  Thanks for this info.

Currently my moodledata folder is 300GB in size. What is the scenario if I set automatic backup to Daily? As u said I set the Maximum number of backups to 1.