Embedded media content not showing for students

Embedded media content not showing for students

by Jonathan Wong -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle version: 3.8.4

We have embedded content in our Moodle books ie youtube videos, h5p content, MS Forms/Quizzes

This can be viewed by staff. When I switch role to student view I can also  see the embedded content

However, students report not seeing the embedded content. 

I logged in as the actual student and could see a blank space where the embedded media should be 

Why is this happening and how can I resolve it?

Many thanks

Jon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Wong

Re: Embedded media content not showing for students

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Where is your embedded content located? If the original source is hidden or in a course students do not have access to, then they will not see the embeddded iframe content either. 

In reply to John Provasnik

by C Behan -
Another reason could be if you are using the 'log in as' feature which tends to filter out embedded videos. If you've ruled out the issues mentioned by John, that could be it.
In reply to Jonathan Wong

by Mohammad Nabil -
how do you embed ?
using filters , direct link , iframe .....?
as by John Provasnik say , student cannot see hidden content
id you want to place contents in place ( eg. store topic ) you must make it hidden but availble , and enable moodle stealth activities
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

by Gabriel Churchill -
I am having the same issue as this with using iframes in lessons and books. It used to work perfectly fine but now they are not visible for students but are visible to staff. Has there been a security update or permissions default change?
In reply to Gabriel Churchill

by C Behan -
Hi Gabriel,
Like John suggested, I would go to the source of the embedded content. Is it now in a place that is now inaccessible to the students?
In reply to C Behan

by Gabriel Churchill -
Thanks for the amazingly quick reply. Unfortunately it is not dependent on the source. As the original poster noted, the embedded content (h5p, pdf, website, youtube video) can be viewed by staff accounts but when I use log in as and log in as one of my students, it disappears.

I cannot see an example of an iframe which works for students. I have looked at h5p, pdf's (linked internally on Moodle), external websites (e.g. youtube) - all not working.

My assumption is that it must be some security setting as all the iframe embedded content is visable to admin and teacher accounts.
In reply to Gabriel Churchill

by C Behan -
Hi Gabriel,
Your answer told the me the problem "when I use log in as". Check out my reply above https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=411972#p1661347
People often encounter this when using 'log in as' but really there is no problem for the students. If you were to actually log in as a student with a username and password I expect you will see the content. This comes up every so often in the forums and there is a tracker item for it.

Catherine