Grade button gives error message

Grade button gives error message

by Thomas College -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle version: 3.9.1 (yes the update to 3.9.2 has been scheduled we just haven't gotten to it yet)

I have also performed a search of all the existing forums.  The solution may be in there somewhere but I did not find it.

I am very new to Moodle.  The guy who managed Moodle since its introduction to our system left abruptly a few weeks ago.

Issue:  I have an instructor with two classes that are the except for the students enrolled and the time of day the class is scheduled.  The issue is that a "Grade" button for one of the classes in one of the weeks produces an error: 

"generalexceptionmessage

Exception-Call to a member function get_controller() on null"

No other "Grade" button in that class or the other identical class produces this error. 

Is there a solution or a fix for this?  

I appreciate any help provided.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas College

Re: Grade button gives error message

by Kyle Gagliardo -

I have recently ran into this problem myself. We attempted an update to the latest 3.9 version today and the issue persists.

The entire screen fails to load except a few basic bits of data, with the generalexceptionmessage error you've received.

I'm really hoping that there's some sort of fix or if it's just going to be a downgrade back to 3.7 before Whole Forum Grading was introduced? So posting in hopes this bumps the issue back to the top and gains exposure since whatever this issue is doesn't seem to provide any sort of stack trace nor creates apache errors to look into; meaning it's currently just a trial and error for attempts to fix this obscure issue at this point with no guidance what-so-ever.

In reply to Kyle Gagliardo

Possible Fix - Try Simple direct grading

by Rob Hirschel -

Exactly the same problem for me as well. 

However, a little sleuthing showed me that I had inadvertently selected Marking guide instead of Simple direct grading.

I don't know anything at all about Marking guide, but for point values, Simple direct grading has worked for me.