Upgrading from 3.5 to 3.9 Wipes out rate answers

Upgrading from 3.5 to 3.9 Wipes out rate answers

by Kieran Briggs -
Number of replies: 6

Hi.

I'm in the middle of updating our VLE from 3.5 to 3.9 and as part of that updating the questionnaire plugin.  We make use of the rate question and personality test features through our courses.  When I initially upgraded I found that the scales and answers have been moved into different boxes.  

When I went to look at the existing completed questionnaires, the rate answers were missing.  Is this a known thing?  Do i need to do another step before upgrading?

Thanks

Kieran

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Kieran Briggs

Re: Upgrading from 3.5 to 3.9 Wipes out rate answers

by Martin Vojtela -

We are running into similar issues upgrading from 3.1 to 3.9. 

I am beginning to notice that the data in mdl_questionnaire_response_rank (field rankvalue) changed rate scales from 0-3 to 2-5 , yet started recording new responses on a scale from 1-4. On top of that, the questionnaire report is showing weird results (incorrect averages, missing counts for some choices...). And a cherry on top of all my troubleshooting is that I noticed that responses recorded via Arabic LMS interface are flipped (instead of 1 we get 4 etc).

I loved using the plugin, but the recent changes are a little too much to digest.

In reply to Martin Vojtela

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am not aware of any bugs, but it's possible. It would help if you could provide sample data to test with. Can you provide a course backup with user data? Anonymized please.
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Vojtela -
Many thanks for following up Mike. 

Here is a backup from our 3.9.2 moodle instance with user information anonymized. We upgraded the platform on 15 Oct - before the rankvalues were 2-5, after that we were getting 1-4. 

Below is a screenshot of our questionnaire report - I think there are inconsistencies there too. 
Incorrect averages and shifted counts of responses

I wonder if we could have somehow caused this with the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.9.2. 

I hope I am not hijacking this thread in case the original post refers to a different issue - if I am, apologies in advance. 

Many thanks for your time and willingness to help!

by Ryan Hazen -
I am having the same problem running questionnaire 3.8.3 (Build - 2020062400) 2020011508 on a Moodle version 3.9+

I am seeing answers shifting uniformly upward at a certain time - For example, I created a single questionnaire with rate function and responded to it. Some time later the response went from a "7" (the top of the scale) to an "8" (off the scale)

This has been observed in at least four other questionnaires sitewide. Some of them have shifted upward by as many as three rate levels, resulting in responses that are way off the charts. 

It appears this issue is limited to questionnaires created after a certain time, I'm guessing the upgrade to Moodle 3.9+ and Questionnaire 3.8.3 in August of this year for my instance. I'm not observing rate scale shifts in questionnaires before then. 
In reply to Kieran Briggs

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have not been able to replicate any of the issues described here...
I created a MOODLE_36_STABLE instance, installed the latest 3.5 version of questionnaire, and recorded the rresults of some rate questions.
Then I upgraded Moodle to the latest MOODLE_39_STABLE version, and questionnaire to the latest 3.9. The results all appear the same.

A couple of possibilities:
1. What specific versions of questionnaire were in place (from / to)?
2. What exactly do the rate questions in question look like (the actual question settings)?

by Kieran Briggs -
Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding. Not sure about the other replies with issues, but I figured out what my issue was. I took a fork of the quesionnaire so that I could change how the rose display worked on feedback, changed the version number and then when it came to update to 3.9 the version that I had on my system was higher than the upgrade.php changes so it didn't go through them. I changed my version number to match and now when I upgrade it works fine.