Linking a pdf file from within a moodle Resource-Page

Linking a pdf file from within a moodle Resource-Page

by Henry Wilde -
Number of replies: 8

I am a volunteer math tutor for GED students trying to use Moodle 3.9.1 hosted on IONOS.com using linux and mysql.

Question.  

I use lots (100s) of pdf files of worksheets for math problems.  I want to be able to upload the pdf files somehow and then link to them from a Resource-Page.  It should look like this to the user.

1. Addition 2x2
  2. Addition 4x4
  3. Subtraction 2x2
  4. Subtraction 4x4 Word Problems

I do not want to add each pdf file as a Resource-File since that makes the pages very long and difficult to read.  I have tried adding the file as a Resource-File, but I am unable to see how to link to it from the Resource-Page.  I have tried making a group of files an Assignment, but that looks rather clunky.  I have also tried Resource-Folder without success.

Right now, I am using a separate directory on the site that I created and maintain via FTP.  It works, but will not work if I add other tutors.

Is there an easy way to do this?  I appreciate your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Henry Wilde

Re: Linking a pdf file from within a moodle Resource-Page

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I would add them all as Resource-Files, probably in a separate topic of their own at the end of your course. Use Stealth mode to hide them but make them available, and then create a list of hyperlinks to the relevant files wherever you need it.

See https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Stealth_activities
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Henry Wilde -
Thanks Jon. I appreciate the advice and the link. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I now know it is possible. Thanks agin.
In reply to Henry Wilde

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Henry,

I think it would be easier to use the quiz capabilities of Moodle, to generate short, say 10 questions, random quizzes instead of having to maintain 100's of pdf's. That's what I used to do for my students, before I retired. This made it possible for them to practice any time they wanted to, and the grade keeping functions of Moodle let me see each students results. If you use the right question type, one question can give you hundreds of variations of the same question. Based on using the rand_int, in the variable numeric type question it is easy to have just one question that can give thousands of possible questions.

I remember as a kid, having to learn the "times" table by rote from 1 thru 12. Just one question can be used to randomly "test" for any answer among those tables. If you specifically want to do each table, then it only takes 12 questions. You can have the problems shown in horizontal or vertical format.

Note that my students were 7th and 8th graders and generally were pretty weak when it came to questions based on order of operations. Having a bunch of questions of that type really helped them, "see the light" and start getting correct answers. At one time, I even experimented with the PoodLL question type's whiteboard so students would have to "show their work" as to how they got their answer.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Henry Wilde -
Hello AL,
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that Moodle could randomly generate quizzes and therefore haven't experimented with them YET. I mistakenly thought all the quizzes were static. My students struggle with the multiplication tables. After your post, I Googled Calculated Questions and plan to use a Moodle quiz for the multiplication table practice to start. We'll see how far we go.
Thanks again for the education.
Henry
In reply to Henry Wilde

by Mohammad Nabil -
by using moodle you can no more need pdf ( except for printing as pdf still the gold)
for simple math
ther is a very powerful question type called calculated multiple choice ,
using it can do few questions that can generate a huge number of question as it randomly generated numbers
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

by Henry Wilde -
Hello Mohammad,
Thanks for replying. I haven't tested Calculated Multiple Choice quizzes yet, but absolutely will in the near future. I now have high hopes for generating more of the questions within Moodle rather than being totally dependent on PDFs from other sites.
Thanks.
Henry
In reply to Henry Wilde

by Mohammad Nabil -
rick jerz made a good video explaining this
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=397214#p1601814
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

by Henry Wilde -
I watched the video. Great tutorial. I will definitely be using this. Thanks for your help.