Meta Enrollment by Role

Meta Enrollment by Role

by Eric Katchan -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,  We would like to enroll students only in a class using meta enrollments.  I understand that it is possible to configure Meta enrolments Site Wide but we want it configured differently by course  (Different roles, Different Courses).

We have a course for "Return to Labs" for students who require access to labs at our university.  The meta enrollment allows us to assign users by course using the meta enrollment plugin.  The problem is that it also enrolls teachers.  I know I can configure the Meta Plugin to avoid certain roles but It is site wide.  Can it be done course wide?  Setting default permissions for all Meta but allow course based configuration?

Thanks in Advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Katchan

Re: Meta Enrollment by Role

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Eric,

There's no way to set this at a per course level that I know of. The site plugin settings include / exclude the roles from all syncs in all courses.

A workaround could be this: duplicate the teacher role to a second role, say Teacher2. Then exclude Teacher2 from the list of roles to be synchronized at the site level. For child courses where you want to synchronize the roles up to the parent course, enroll the teachers as the default Teacher role and it will sync. In courses where you want to exclude the teachers from the sync, enroll the teacher as Teacher2, and it will not synchronize. This may or may not work in your situation, but it is a way of controlling which roles get synced.
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Eric Katchan -
Hi Randy, thanks for the possible solution. I do not think it will work in our given situation. I think it would be a great addition to the meta enrollment by role by course. Who do I have to speak to???? Martin D?
In reply to Eric Katchan

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Eric,

You should use the Tracker to start the request process: https://tracker.moodle.org/.

First, search the tracker to see if there has been a request like this already and check on its status. If so, add to it. If not, then make a new issue as a feature request and define exactly what you want to do in as much detail as possible.

To get a feature worked on, three things help: promote the tracker to others who may also need the feature and have them vote on the tracker and/or add any expertise to the comments; have a programmer provide some code to do at least some of this; budget to hire someone to build it, then submit the code.