Why do I get Installation options in my working moodle front page?

Why do I get Installation options in my working moodle front page?

by Plataforma Aula Virtual -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, I'm using version 3.8 of moodle and an hour ago or so I got this image, asking me to install moodle again, aparently. I don't get it, since I'm new to moodle administration, just last week I've been chosen to administrate the site that has been working for years now. 

I don't get why I get I'm getting this image, nor how can I solve this, since I don't want to upgrade nor change anything in the site right now.

Thanks!

front - page - installation

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Plataforma Aula Virtual

Re: Why do I get Installation options in my working moodle front page?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Check for the presence of a config.php in moodle code root on your server.
If it exist, one shouldn't see an install screen.

Did someone attempt an upgrade recently?

'SoS', Ken
In reply to Ken Task

Hello, Ken.
Thanks for your answer and your help in this forum (been around for only a week and you already helped a lot).

Config.php lives on the server I recently started administrating, I had to change configuration for security reasons, but nothing but passwords; it worked OK for a couple of days (well, not really mdl_course table went missing, for instance, and I had a configuration issue that didn't let the user to store cache, so the server couldn't handle all the work it had to do), sort of, and now this... I suspect the old administrator might be playing tricks on me...

No one attempted an upgrade recently that I know off.

Do you think it's safe to upgrade after backup or shouldn't I touch anything just in case after some further investigation?
In reply to Plataforma Aula Virtual

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, suggest changing your login/display name here in forums ... you won't be a 'newbie' very much longer!   (Thanks for your kind comment.)

Check ownership/permissions on config.php file.   It must be readable by owner, group, and *all others* - the globe ... in linux looks like r--r--r--.   If not readable moodle might think it's a fresh install.

How could I possibly know if a co-worker/former admin is doing anything?   Ask them!!!!

I think I'd solve this before upgrading or doing anything more ... you are now the admin so you should know what's going on ... right? smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Hi Ken, It's been a while.
I don't speak to the old admin since he was removed from the course, because he started acting really weird, which I can of understand.
"Someone" broke into the system and deleted so many tables that when attempting to access the URL moodle realized there was a "clean" installation to be done but not enough data to load the site, hence installation wizard was presented.
I actually solved this pretty quick but forgot to reply back. I just used the backup and a couple of days of work were lost.
Thanks for stoping by. I didn't find an option to close this questions, nor how to mark as solved, it doesn't seem to work that way.