Advice - Upgrade planning, changing/replacing themes with multiple course designations

Advice - Upgrade planning, changing/replacing themes with multiple course designations

by Rachel Martin -
Number of replies: 1

Good morning,

I am trying to get advice on the best process moving forward.

We are planning our upgrade from Moodle 3.5 to 3.9.  We have a large number of courses using the essential theme (this is designated at the course level).  

Since the essential theme is not supported, we need to look at replacing it.  My question is, is there a way I can do this without having to go into each individual course to set the theme again?  Some I could rearrange in categories, but not all, there are reasons that the themes were set at the course level rather than the category level.

Does anyone have any good advice?  I know if I uninstall the theme it will fall back to not forcing a theme, which means I would have to make sure I record what courses are using the theme so they could be swapped back.  I just want to minimize the amount of manual work involved.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rachel Martin

Re: Advice - Upgrade planning, changing/replacing themes with multiple course designations

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Use SQL to update the given database attribute after making a backup first in case it goes wrong.