Users unable to log in

Users unable to log in

by Hannah Kingston -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

I work for an NHS trust and we use the Moodle eLearning platform to enable off-site and agency staff to complete training, however, these members of staff are only able to complete this training using one of the trust PC's. Please can you tell me if and how we can set it so that users can access the courses on a private device such as PC's, laptops, phones and tablets away from the trust?

Also it shows my Moodle as not being registered. Does this need to be registered in order to access away from the trust? If so, will this mean anyone can access it?

Thank you in advance for your help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hannah Kingston

Re: Users unable to log in

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This depends on where the Moodle site is hosted. If it's on a trust-only or NHS-only network then these staff members would need remote access to this network (e.g. VPN tunnel) to access the site. If it's on the Internet but there are restrictions configured in Moodle (e.g. by IP address) then these will need to be changed or removed as necessary to allow access. Hopefully there's some IT support available at the trust to help answer this.

Site registration doesn't have any affect on who can access the site or any affect on the functionality.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by C Behan -
Also, what authentication method are your users using Hannah?
In reply to C Behan

by Hannah Kingston -

When in the account I can see the Authentication method is set to manual accounts. Does that make sense?

I am sorry I am very new to this, and have been asked to take the lead on Moodle usage, so have very basic knowledge at this stage

by Hannah Kingston -
When I look at the IP and HTTP allowed and blocked addresses, both boxes are empty. Please can you advise on how I can find out if my Moodle platform is set to NHS or Trust use only?

Sorry, I am new to Moodle smile
In reply to Hannah Kingston

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If the site can only be accessed from devices inside the trust I would suspect it's on an internal network. This isn't a Moodle setting, the site has been installed on an internal server that does not provide access outside of the trust.

If it's on an internal-only network the options to provide access are either 1) provide staff with remote access or 2) migrate the site to an external web server on the Internet.

The conclusive ways to determine this would be to find out if the site's domain name can be resolved outside of the trust and then whether the IP address this resolves to can be accessed outside of the trust. E.g. if the site's web address was https://moodle.mytrust.nhs.uk then you could use the command nslookup moodle.mytrust.nhs.uk to see the IP address (e.g. at the Microsoft Windows command prompt). IP addresses in the ranges 10.0.0.0–10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0–172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0–192.168.255.255 can't be accessed on the Internet, the NHS network may additional ranges. I realise this is a technical answer, on-site IT support may be better placed to assist.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Hannah Kingston -

Thank you so much for your response. I have passed this information onto our IT team, I am sure this will help them understand how we can get this to work

Thank you smile