asyncronous backup never finishes

asyncronous backup never finishes

by Mike Kallet -
Number of replies: 3

Version 3.9.1/3.9.2

In the process of attempting to copy a course, I initiate a backup.   The course has hardly anything it it, yet the message " There is a pending asynchronous backup for this course. Please do not edit this course until backup is complete"  is just ongoing.  Been that way for many hours.  How do I kill a pending backup?  I'm a real novice at this stuff, not familiar with server commands, etc..   I tried deleted the course, but can't delete it because the backup is pending.  Upgraded from 3.9.1 to 3.9.2 hoping that things would reset.  No help.  Cleared cache, no help.  

Suggestions?

Thanks

MIke

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Kallet

Re: asyncronous backup never finishes

by RPG Education -

We have a fresh setup of Moodle 3.9.3 (Build 20201224), and created an empty default template course.

Now when going to the listing of the course, it has the same message:

"There is a pending asynchronous backup for this course. Please do not edit this course until backup is complete".

But asynchronous backups are NOT enabled.

How do we break out of this infinite loop?

Thanks!

In reply to RPG Education

by RPG Education -
As I dug deeper, I found some other issues, and somehow the automated cron tasks were never setup, though I was following the step-by-step instructions, somehow I must have missed that step somewhere.
So I followed this: https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Cron and the errors in https://classes.rpg.education/report/status/index.php? cleared up.
Then checking the course stuck process also cleared up. This also explained why trying to copy a cours was also hanging.
FIXED on our end. Hope that helps others.
Cheers!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Kallet

by Mike Kallet -
Do you have the cron job configured to run on your server. The backup doesn't get invoked until the cron job runs.

The cron job should look something like 
/usr/local/bin/php /PathToMoodle/Moodle/admin/cli/cron.php