Mandarin Characters Allowed? Plug-ins for that?

Mandarin Characters Allowed? Plug-ins for that?

Scotty Perey írta időpontban
Válaszok szám: 5

Hi, I'm experimenting with Moodle for the very first time (using MoodleCloud), and the first thing I've run up against is that it doesn't like when I included the Mandarin spelling of my Chinese students along with their English names when I'm creating their User Account. Is there a workaround or plug-in of some sort, or do I just have to live with the alphanumeric only thing? Or could that be a feature request?  Thanks! It's a minor thing, and I am SUPER psyched to be learning Moodle mosoly. ~Scotty Perey. "The Music Compass"

Értékelések átlaga: -
Válasz erre: Scotty Perey

Re: Mandarin Characters Allowed? Plug-ins for that?

Leon Stringer írta időpontban
Kép Kép

I would expect this to work in Moodle.

Can you give us more details about the issue? Steps to reproduce the problem would help us, and screenshots of errors or unexpected output are very helpful. Hide or change any data you don't want to share (e.g. personally identifiable information).

Válasz erre: Leon Stringer

Scotty Perey írta időpontban
Thank you Leon. I am using Chrome Version 85.0.4183.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) for my browser. I have "Pinyin - Simplified" chosen for my keyboard input to type in the Mandarin characters: choosing Pinyin - Simplified for Mac OS keyboard

Here's the error message I get when I try to enter the bi-lingual name:Moodle doesn't seem to like when I try to enter Mandarin characters in the username field

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Mojave 10.14.6 by the way. Please let me know if there's any other info that would be relevant. Thanks again!

~Scotty

AL Rachels írta időpontban
Kép Kép Kép Kép
Hi Scotty,
What that is telling you is the simplified Chinese "characters" that you have included are not in the "font" unicode character set you are using for user names. In fact, if you look at the fonts available on your computer via a "Character map" application, (on Windows go to Start > Windows Accessories > Character map), you will not find any font that includes any Chinese characters. This seems to also apply to other languages that stuff multiple characters into the same space where we only stick one character. e.g. Korean The exception for unicode character sets putting some stuff in the same character space is things like accent marks.

Leon Stringer írta időpontban
Kép Kép

Thanks, that's clear now: it should work if you enable Allow extended characters in usernames under Site administration ▸ Security ▸ Site security settings.

Értékelések átlaga:Useful (1)