Is 'Number of clicks' really a good metric

Is 'Number of clicks' really a good metric

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 5

Over in this thread, a list of success measures is given:

As success measures, we are primarily looking at improving user flows to:

• Reduce number of clicks
  • Reduce task completion times
  • Reduce the number of ways you can do one thing to simplify the learning curve
  • Look at how we can improve and simplify actions performed
  • Simplify the user interface

I am not sure if that applies generally, or just to the create course project, however I though it worth discussing here, in the general forum, rather than leading another thread off-topic.

I think those are all good metrics, except for the first one. Please allow me to explain why. There are really two reasons:

1. Not all clicks are equal

• A click with an instant response (e.g. opening a drop-down menu) is much nicer that a click followed by waiting for a response (new page load, or dialogue that requires Ajax to load data).
  • A click on a big target is much easier than a click on a fiddly little icon.
  • A click on something visually distinctive is easier to excute at speed than if everything looks the same.
  • A click on something self-explanatory is easier for new users to learn than having to figure out a cryptic UI.

To illustrate: lets peek ahead at my first example in reason 2:

Old edit acivity UI a row of cryptic icons.

no add resource and activity menus

Current UI: Edit menu.
26actionicon.png

So, the new UI is two clicks, rather than one, but:
  • The edit menu opens instantly, and in a predictable position, so muscle memory will take you to common choices.
  • Both the edit menu and the choices are big areas to click.
  • Choices have icons for quick visual recognition ...
  • but also have explanatory lables.

And, page intially less cluttered with the just the edit menus, rather than the hundreds of icons. I bet you would not be suggesting getting rid of 'Turn editing on' mode if we had the old UI!

2. Almost all the change that acutally improved Moodle usability in the past added clicks

I think the following were all big usability wins in Moodle:
  1. Row of icons -> Edit menu for editing activities on the course page. (Adds one click.)
  2. Row of icons -> Edit menu in the question bank - and probably other places too.
  3. In all the really big forms, collapsible sections. (Adds a click to access some settings, and means some settings are not immediately visible, so if you are not sure what section to look in, you may have to go hunting or Expand all, but most of the time makes the form less daunting, and makes it much quicker to get to the settings you want, because the sections are logical.)
  4. Old Add activity drop-downs (2 clicks)
    Addresourceactivitydropdown.png
    to new Activity chooser dialogue (3 clicks, but on much bigger targest with icons, explanatory text, etc.)

Summary

I am not saying that we should give our users RSI, but your second measure "task completion time" is the important one. Slavishly counting clicks is going to lead you astry. (In my opinion. Obivously, this is all just my opinion.)

I acutally think there might another measure you are missing: something like:

• The amount of time the user is thinking about the subject matter they are learning and teaching, as oppposed to how often they are thinking about where to click next in Moodle.
I hope these thoughts are useful.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Is 'Number of clicks' really a good metric

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Let me add a more general view.

There are three menus now:

- edit menu

- settings menu with subchapters and hidden advanced features

- additional features menu after activity is created.

Assignment module is a good example for this.

All the menus have different functions. When i talked to teachers they tell me: I only want to create an assignment. Discussing in detail each one has a different personal setting wishlist.

Here an idea. Lets reduce the menus to two. Give admin permission to define default setting for all not mandatory settings and hide all others as advanced.

Allow teacher to create a personal default setting that can be used in all her courses.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Andreas Schlenger -
When I use Moodle as a "teacher-as-course-designer", I am not bothered so much about the amount of clicks that it takes to get me somewhere but the confusing amount of information I am presented with in a given space. Tim's screenshot from 2008 is a perfect example: In this small part from the course page, the teacher is presented with approximately 15 pieces of label-type information, almost 60 icons for roughly 10 actions (in different contexts), 1 pulldown menu, 1 input box and only 2(!) pieces of actual *content* (which - ironically - tell the user that no information is available wink)

I suppose the best approach in cleaning up the UI is to consider the sequence of decisions users have to make on their way through the setup of any given resource or activity and then present them only with the necessary information they need at that precise point. This, btw, seems to have been the kind of thinking that led from the Moodle 2.x UI to 3.x. The current interface does not assume that the teacher wants to either adjust the role settings of an element OR change its visibility OR delete it OR move it (down) OR move it (right), it rather assumes that the teacher wants to *edit* the element's settings and only then wants to decide, what needs to be changed.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Andreas Schlenger

by Tim Hunt -
I just notice: unlike the other moodle.org forums, this one does not have the 'Helpful' rating scale. Any chance we could get it please?

Anyway, the post above this one is a helpful post smile