Stuck on login/index.php page after upgrading

Stuck on login/index.php page after upgrading

by Kate Rhodes -
Number of replies: 6

Just did the update to 3.9 - didn't get any errors while updating, but now when I try to login it just loops back to the "login/index.php" page and displays as a blank page. No footer or navigation of any type.

I go back and enter the site address again, and get the "maintenance" message... the footer display then.

Any ideas??

I have cPanel and can access the database and and the moodle install if that helps.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kate Rhodes

Re: Stuck on login/index.php page after upgrading

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Two thoughts - 1. Try clearing your caches (you can manually do this by deleting the cache and localcache folders in your moodleDATA (NOT CODE) folder.
2. Is the php version you are using compatible with 3.9?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Kate Rhodes -
Thanks Emma, I have cleared the caches several times now. The php version I'm running is 7.3.
It's still not loading properly.. sad

by Kate Rhodes -
Okay, I managed to get debugging to turn on by modifying the config file and I got these error messages now:
Warning: require_once(www.mysite.com/user/profile/field/file/field.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in www.mysite.com/user/profile/lib.php on line 571

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/mysite.com/user/profile/field/file/field.class.php' (include_path='mysite.com/lib/pear:.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php73/root/usr/share/pear') in /mysite.com/user/profile/lib.php on line 571
In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In stock 3.9 code there is no /usr/ directory nor subdir of profile ... and the rest shown.  Plugin?

If a plugin, directions for upgrading say to *copy* not only config.php file from the archived (older) code folder, but also any add-on folder ... from it's location in the archive to the same location in new code.  That's *copy* not move.   Remember to get the folders and all the contents of those folders copied.

Please verify you have done that.

Some additions to config.php you could add:

$CFG->maintenance_enabled='0';

turns off maintenance mode.

If you needed it back on ... change 0 to 1

or when you don't need it at all, put // in front of that line.

How about your theme?   Is it boost?

If not, force to use boost via config.php file:

$CFG->theme='boost';

Same with commenting out, etc. as maint suggestions above.

Unfortunately, there is no tool to list all additional plugins if one cannot login as admin.  There is a query of DB you could run showing all plugins, however:

select id,plugin,name from mdl_config_plugins;

will produce a long list of not only core but addon plugins.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I hate to disagree with Ken because he is the guru of all gurus but there is a user directory (I think he misread your post!!)...how did you upgrade? Did you actually delete your old code folder and then add the new moodle folder? Did you check permissions? I would suggest downloading the code again and trying again - perhaps something got corrupted along the way.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Just goes to show ... 'guru of all guru's' (yeah, right! Guessed correctly 3 times in a row to 'earn' the title (a mis-nomer really). All that to say .. Emma is correct ... there is a 'user/' directory in git acquired 3.9.highest code.

Thanks for correcting! smile

OP ... do check code to see that you have all of it.

'SoS', Ken