Cron stuck on task

Cron stuck on task

by Bradford Moore -
Number of replies: 4

We are running Moodle 3.1.7 on Ubuntu. I've taken over Moodle admin duties again from an individual that recently left. I'm seeing an error while cron is running:

Prepare Submissions for annotation... and it just sits at "convert 1 submission..." (screenshot attached) until CRON times out. It's been like this for about a week.  i am a mySQL/SQL novice and looked through the forums here. I thought I'd find this assignment number in mdl_assignfeedback_editpdf_queue but am having no luck. I also checked the other mdl_assignfeedback_editpdf tables with no success.

Am I barking up the wrong tree so to speak? I'm using mySQL workbench as my skills are definitely beginner level, but I can't see to find what's causing this to stall so that I can delete it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. ~Brad

From the Cron log, there are many copies of this same basic error:

</pre>Execute scheduled task: Prepare submissions for annotation (assignfeedback_editpdf\task\convert_submissions)
... started 14:05:04. Current memory use 26.4MB.
Convert 1 submission attempt(s) for assignment 67250
Server Time: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 14:30:01 -0400

Execute scheduled task: Prepare submissions for annotation (assignfeedback_editpdf\task\convert_submissions)
... started 14:30:01. Current memory use 23.4MB.
Server Time: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 15:00:01 -0400

Execute scheduled task: Cleanup category recycle bin (tool_recyclebin\task\cleanup_category_bin)
... started 15:00:01. Current memory use 20.3MB.
[tool_recyclebin] Deleting item '5' from the category recycle bin ...
... used 3 dbqueries
... used 0.018877029418945 seconds
Scheduled task failed: Cleanup category recycle bin (tool_recyclebin\task\cleanup_category_bin),Can not find data record in database table course_categories.
<pre>
</pre>Execute scheduled task: Prepare submissions for annotation (assignfeedback_editpdf\task\convert_submissions)
... started 15:00:01. Current memory use 24.4MB.

Attachment 67250.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bradford Moore

Re: Cron stuck on task

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
How are the document converters set up? To be found under Site administration > Plugins > Document converters > Manage document converters.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Bradford Moore -
Good morning Visvanath,

I don't have that option under site plugins. I know that a contractor installed unoconv and it has been working properly for the past 1+ years. I looked for Document Converters under plugins a few places but didn't see it listed in the Moodle UI, but I can see it in Cron.

by Bradford Moore -
I took a stab at what I was seeing and I made a snapshot of our Moodle VMs and deleted the oldest row in :
mdl_assignfeedback_editpdf_queue which happened to be the correct entry.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Question - how are you running the cron job? php-cli pointed to code/admin/cli/cron.php?
Reason asked ... unless you did something in this forum posting the output of cron.php with php-cli wouldn't produce a blank < pre > tag ... with a closing pre tag and no data. And it's right before the problem area.

Strange!

'SoS', Ken