Prevent downloading PDF assignments

Prevent downloading PDF assignments

napisao/la solmaz naderi -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone

Would you help me please how can I prevent users from downloading the pdf file related to assignments? 

They can only see their homework on the site.
Thanks in advance
Solmaz

Prosjek ocjena: -
In reply to solmaz naderi

Re: Prevent downloading PDF assignments

napisao/la Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Solmaz,
I don't quite understand your question: what do you mean by "users"? Teachers or students? What do they want exactly? To be able to download a PDF file or not?
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Thanks for your reply dear Beatriz,
At this moment students when open assignment, it start to downloading pdf. I want to prevent downloading for students. I want to students see their assignment in LMS without downloding.
In reply to solmaz naderi

napisao/la Colin Fraser -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Testers
There is a couple of issues here, Solmaz, one is browser based, the other is author based. The browser base is that most browsers today will either automatically open or auto download PDFs, but not both at the same time. This depends on how Users set their browsers up and there is nothing you can do about that.
The other is how the author has written it. If it is an interactive PDF, that is has fields in which students edit the answers in the textboxes provided, checkboxes, radio boxes, whatever, then it is a matter of educating the User to ensure they are downloading the document, editing it in Acrobat and not trying to edit it in their browser.
If it is an assignment that does not need to be downloaded, edited and uploaded, then why use the PDF format in the first place? Can it be an online assignment? Alternatively, can it be an uploaded response assignment.
Check with the author, make sure they are using the right format for what they need. I am not sure you can prevent a PDF from being downloaded under any circumstance, so why use the format if it is not to be downloaded? Much simpler to use a different format than trying to prevent a download, no matter what your LMS is.
In reply to Colin Fraser

Thanks for your guidance
You mentioned the exact point. I will check this issue with user who reported to understand their exact purpose.