Multiple Tag Collections

Multiple Tag Collections

by John Poodle -
Number of replies: 3

I am trying to understand tag collections in Moodle 3.7. I would like to setup multiple collections which contain related tags, a simple example is below:

Types of Content Collection

- Document tag

- Video tag

- eLearning tag

Topics Collection

- Maths tag

- English tag

- Science tag

Now I would like both of these to be available when tagging courses but it is only possible to select one tag collection per tag area is it not? So it appears that I will need to have all of the tags in a single collection, which with many tags becomes very unwieldy. Any suggestions on this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Poodle

Re: Multiple Tag Collections

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
A tag area can only belong to one collection at a time, and so, as you say, it becomes unwieldy when there are lots tags in one area that are used in different ways.

One workaround I have found for this is to name your tags with a prefix of some sort so when users are using the Tag filter, they get the subset quickly. For example, T- for all tags that are Topics, C- for all tags that are content, or perhaps 1 and 2 (if you don't use numbers for the individual tags.) Pretty? No, but it helps.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by John Poodle -
That definitely helps Randy thank you. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden feature which I had missed but it appears not.
In reply to John Poodle

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
John,

I wish there was such a hidden feature, for sure. If anyone has a better solution, I am all ears.

If a tag area could belong to more than one collection, and on the tag input pages you could choose which collection to use, that could be one way of doing what we need.