[3.9.1]Switch to PHP FPM

[3.9.1]Switch to PHP FPM

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Did anyone switch from PHP tot PHP FPM?

We tried switching on our test-Moodle... all went OK. Then we tried this on our production site thinking it would be OK and it was not...

Obviously there's more to it then we thought.

Did anyone do this already and what are the things to take in consideration? I did see some errors on third party plugins, but default Moodle seems to run OK with it. On small sites we can switch seemingly without problems.

However our 'big' Moodle site (16K users, 20K courses, lots of data and 47 third party plugins) it went wrong.

I hope someone can share some experience on this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: [3.9.1]Switch to PHP FPM

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What is the procedure you followed? What is your web server, Apache or Nginx?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
No procedure as of yet. It's a simple switch in the Cpanel, the place where you can also select your PHP-version.
You can set it on and off.

The tuning still needs to be done, but as said in opening post: we have some test-servers that run OK if we switch to PHP FPM. Yet the production server seems not to be able to handle it.

Server is Linux/Apache
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I don't know if it will apply to a managed server – it will depend on the PHP-FPM configuration – but one problem I encountered on CentOS 7 was that with mod_php Apache was reading and writing files (e.g. in Moodledata) as user apache but on switching to PHP-FPM files were accessed as user php-fpm. This resulted in file permission issues and access had to be changed accordingly, mainly changing file ownership.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)