Why can student edit submission even after grading, when not using "click to submit"?

Why can student edit submission even after grading, when not using "click to submit"?

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When not using Require students to click the submit button, the student can edit his submission even after it has been graded (if no cut-off date is set and passed).

To me it seems just like a way to open up for problems, so I'd like to know the user case(-s) for that.

If one wants a formative assessment, it is better to have the student click the submit button and re-open the assignment for another attempt, thus getting a good history of the submissions.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
To be honest, it depends on your students' age levels and experience using technology.
If you present a student a screen with two submit options (one that says Submit a new attempt, and the other that says Submit based on a previous attempt) you're going to have kids who have no idea what the are expected to do. For this reason, I don't use the submit button (they forget to click it always all the time and I end up with draft submission that never get submitted). But, this does mean they always have access to that submission. There are times kids revise their submission two or three times before the teacher even gets around to grading, but I guess that's okay right? In that case, the teacher is grading the latest version of the assignment anyways. but if that's not ok for your school setting than the submit button option still doesnt stop kids from submitting a new attempt.

Quiz Module clearly limits how many times a student can submit the quiz... you can set "1"
Assignment Molde not so clear. You may only want a kid to submit 1 time, but the settings don't quite seem to allow that unless I'm way off the mark. There are so many combinations of options.