How to disable category tree feature at homepage?

by Luciano Ferrer -
Number of replies: 5

There is any way to deactivate the show/collapse category tree features at homepage?

I mean when we show category list at homepage settings (not the navigation block)

It seems to be a moodle YUI feature... but we do not want to use it, we just need category/classroom links, without ability to show/colapse inner categories/classrooms

Can not find a way to configure/deactivate it... the most near option was to configure depth 1 (one), to not show default depth two.... but anyway, the function is present and categories can be shown/collapsed clicking at the arrow or main category title...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luciano Ferrer

Re: How to disable category tree feature at homepage?

by sushumna rao -
May be in front page settings, do not select list of Categories. And then add a HTML block to front page and configure it with Category/class room names and link it to that page. It may work.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to sushumna rao

by Luciano Ferrer -
Oh yes! someone told me the same... I guess I will go that way, thanks for mention it!

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Luciano,

I guess you're talking about the Site home page on your Moodle instance, right? Have you tried the following:

click the cogwheel in the top right corner (provided you're using Boost and an up to date version of Moodle)
select Edit settings

Scroll down to the two bits that say Front page and Front page items when logged in, and check to see which bits have been enabled. My guess is, that you're using the combo list element, where you'd want to just have the category list.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Luciano Ferrer -
Oh yes Joost! I have tried both, the category list does that... it shows categories, and if you have several inner categories it will show the categories tree (after you clic over the left arrow, or category box)

I think I will have to do an html one

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Luciano,

There's also an option to modify the category depth... shortnamed 'maxcategorydepth', which is set to 2 by default, but if you set it to 1, the site home list should only list the topmost categories.