Randomly generated quiz by subjects

Randomly generated quiz by subjects

by David Garcia San Jose -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I have implemented for the first time moodle for an online academy. We would like to provide our users to be able to generate quizes from a random bank of questions. Those questions would need to be organized by subjects, so that the user can choose, for example 20 questions from the Legal block (as per the attachment). 

I an unsure on whether this can be configured in Moodle through categories and tags or a plugin would be necessary. In any case, how would it be done?

The version we are using is 3.9.

Thanks a lot for your help and kind regards!

Attachment Tests generator.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Garcia San Jose

Re: Randomly generated quiz by subjects

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It is a pity that https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_qpractice is no longer maintaned. That does what you ask.

A plugin that is maintained is StudentQuiz https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_studentquiz. That does more than you want (by default, it lets students author questions, as well as attempt them. However, by changing the permissions, I think you can get it so that students can only attempt questions from a pool that you have created.

Also, I don't think StudentQuiz uses categories much. However, I think you can get what you want to using tags instead.

Anyway, it is probably worth checking out StudentQuiz.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Garcia San Jose -
Thank you Tim for your elaborated response and complete information.

It is a shame Question Practice is no longer maintained, but I will try both options and hopefully will manage to make it work.

Thanks again and have a nice day!
In reply to David Garcia San Jose

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'It is a shame Question Practice is no longer maintained,'
I am the 'maintainer' and I agree. Last time I played with it about a year ago it worked with the latest version of Moodle and I added a little enhancement. However I would generally not recommend it as it is because it needs more work to be useful in the way I would want. I decided to prioritise work on my question types Gapfill and Wordselect (and similar things) as having a wider audience.