Moodle for Flight School information system

Moodle for Flight School information system

by Mirko Novakovic -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I am seriously thinking on developing moodle site for LMS in our flight academy, so before I delve deeper into Moodle, have some questions on whether Moodle could be used for this purpose and in our environment:

1) Generally, we are a part of the company that uses Microsoft windows platforms - the web servers are probably based on microsoft technology, would it make problems / complications?

2) Security is of great importance. Moodle would be hosted on a local server. Would it be possible to restrict access only to designated  IP addresses in local intranet ( I presume there is such an option in administrative settings)?

3) The number of student pilots is btw 100 and 200, and the number of instructors (theory / flight) is about 20-30. Plus administration. The training consists of theoretical and practical (flight) section. 

For theoretical section, functionalities we need are: a) digital register of classes (with possible lesson topics and duration of lessons in hours already imported from external file, for example, although this is not necessary) , b) student attendance c) progress tests d) final examinations e) timetable of classes

For practical flight training, it would need: a) the ability to make a flight order (with names of instructor, student and type/duration of flight exercise), b) ability to record a progress list for each student c) grading and evaluation lists after check fiights d)  database of air excercises that would be used for a) , and similar.

4) Analysis (statistics) of theoretical and practical training - reports per various queries. Graphical statistics.

5) Safety Management System  - where events (incidents) would be recorded, with severity parameter and other parameters, hazard log with bow-tie preventive barriers, etc. This module also makes sense only if it is possilbe to make various analysis / statistics. Would I have to develop plugins for this , because this is not a typical educational activity?

6) Important: Mobile app offline mode. Would it be possible for flight instructors to fill in the forms on their mobile phones while they are airborne (offline) and then have it automatically uploaded to Moodle server once they are in range of local intranet?

7) Last but not the least, having in mind that I am going to put a lot of time / effort into this project, would it be possible to make this moodle bundle a commercial product that I could sell to other flight schools, and under what conditions, if there are any? 

Thanks,

Mirko

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mirko Novakovic

Re: Moodle for Flight School information system

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mirko,

Let me try and answer some of your questions...

1) Microsoft SQL is supported (source: Moodle 3.9 release notes).

2) There is indeed a setting to restrict access to specified IP addresses (see IP blocker).

3) - 5) You would most likely need to develop some custom plugins, though do check the Moodle plugins directory as you may well find something suitable or a plugin which you could adapt.

6) Yes, the Moodle app enables users to enter data offline and have it automatically synced when there is an internet connection (see Moodle app features).

Best wishes, and please let us know what you eventually decide!

PS As nobody else has answered your post here in the Lounge, I'm just going to move it to the Comparisons and advocacy forum.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mirko Novakovic -

Hi Helen,

Thank you for the answers, they just confirmed Moodle is capable to do majority of things we need.

In the meantime, we had a presentation of a commercial flight school information system, so I got a better understanding of how complex it can be. The software had positive feedback from our flight personnel, so they will probably go for it. 

But it lacks testing or any LMS elements for theoretical training, though. So I will probably reduce my ambition and try to build theoretical module first. This module should allow: defining users, groups of users, defining subjects, defining courses (groups of subjects), defining theoretical instructors and their permissions, defining progress tests and exams in subjects. The test/exams are generally of multiple-choice.

The biggest challenge will probably be to import large database of questions and answers that contain pictures (about 5000-10000 questions in all subjects). Having said pictures, is there any plugin for Moodle that can show picture enlarged picture (from the question) with at least some basic tools like zoom in / out, swipe in all directions etc.)? 

Thanks,

Mirko

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Questions can be imported into Moodle's question bank in a variety of formats. See Import_questions. If you want images, the two to look at are probably the built in Moodle XML format and https://moodle.org/plugins/qformat_giftmedia.

For enlargeable images, I don't konw anything that does that. The way this might be done in a way that gits in with how Moodle operates would be a new 'Text filter' plugin which finds large images in content (anywhere in Moodle, including in questions) and makes them zoomable/etc. Someone would need to develop that though. As I say, I don't think such a thing exists.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Everything that Helen has said, but I would add two more things. Moodle is used for training purposes in schools and universities, it's main market, all over the world. It is also used by theatre companies to help actors with character development when rehearsing, by fast food chains for training staff, by welfare support agencies as information kiosks for clients and training of staff, hospitals for medical and non-medical staff training, military academies also use it, engineering firms, dance companies, and many more. Moodle has turned up in surprising environments, and so far, I've not heard of Moodle not being able to meet any challenge thrown at it within a training and learning environment. In some of them, requirements are so specific, like yours, they have to make and maintain their own plugins, it's the only way they can achieve their training goals.
Q7) You can rebadge a Moodle, onsell it, if you chose, as long as you understand and follow the essential licensing agreements you make when you download and install Moodle. Create your own plugins, themes and any mods you make, that's what you are charging for, but be careful about what you are copyrighting. You are entitled to get a return on what you do, your investment, the effort and time you spend doing it, and good on you for doing it, but not on what you use from Moodle. That's the only stipulation, as I understand it, but make sure you are in compliance with the Terms of Moodle's license.
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mirko Novakovic -
Hi Collin,

Thanks for the reply, in the meantime I have reduced my initial intention to building theoretical module only, I have described that in more detail in the answer to Helen's post.

Best Regards,
Mirko