I am seriously thinking on developing moodle site for LMS in our flight academy, so before I delve deeper into Moodle, have some questions on whether Moodle could be used for this purpose and in our environment:
1) Generally, we are a part of the company that uses Microsoft windows platforms - the web servers are probably based on microsoft technology, would it make problems / complications?
2) Security is of great importance. Moodle would be hosted on a local server. Would it be possible to restrict access only to designated IP addresses in local intranet ( I presume there is such an option in administrative settings)?
3) The number of student pilots is btw 100 and 200, and the number of instructors (theory / flight) is about 20-30. Plus administration. The training consists of theoretical and practical (flight) section.
For theoretical section, functionalities we need are: a) digital register of classes (with possible lesson topics and duration of lessons in hours already imported from external file, for example, although this is not necessary) , b) student attendance c) progress tests d) final examinations e) timetable of classes
For practical flight training, it would need: a) the ability to make a flight order (with names of instructor, student and type/duration of flight exercise), b) ability to record a progress list for each student c) grading and evaluation lists after check fiights d) database of air excercises that would be used for a) , and similar.
4) Analysis (statistics) of theoretical and practical training - reports per various queries. Graphical statistics.
5) Safety Management System - where events (incidents) would be recorded, with severity parameter and other parameters, hazard log with bow-tie preventive barriers, etc. This module also makes sense only if it is possilbe to make various analysis / statistics. Would I have to develop plugins for this , because this is not a typical educational activity?
6) Important: Mobile app offline mode. Would it be possible for flight instructors to fill in the forms on their mobile phones while they are airborne (offline) and then have it automatically uploaded to Moodle server once they are in range of local intranet?
7) Last but not the least, having in mind that I am going to put a lot of time / effort into this project, would it be possible to make this moodle bundle a commercial product that I could sell to other flight schools, and under what conditions, if there are any?