Moodle, LTI and Schoology

Re: Moodle, LTI and Schoology

by William Boyke -
Number of replies: 0

I received a reply from my contact at XYZ. I am not including his contact Info.

Hope this may help you.

Bill B.

There are two ways to enroll in a course, and it is one or the other, not both.

*  Scenario 1 - The course is not integrated.  The student goes to XYZ Homework website, logs in, enters Course ID to enroll  (you could put a link to XYZ Homework in your Moodle course, and list the Course ID to mimic "single sign-on," as they would still go through Moodle, the grades just wouldn't auto-transfer)

*  Scenario 2 - The course is integrated.  Students are not given the course ID.  Students enroll by clicking on the Moodle link, which prompts them to log into their XYZ Homework course.  Grades auto-transfer

If a student enrolls with Scenario 1, and then you want to integrate your course into Moodle two weeks into the course, you would want to make a record of that student's grades (by downloading the gradebook in XYZ Homework), then unenroll that student (unenrolling deletes all work, thus you want to have a record of the grades before you unenroll the student), then have the student enroll again by clicking on the Moodle link.  We suggest making all of your course edits, set all of your due dates, etc before integrating, ideally, and never giving out the Course ID if you plan to integrate (surprisingly, a number of Instructors miss this important fact, integrate, and also give out the Course ID, which causes half of the class to not enroll properly).

With Scenario 2, the student needs to click on the Moodle links for the automatic grade transfer to work.  For example, let's say a month into a class that is integrated, a student wants to complete 3 homework assignments, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.  For 2.1, the student clicks on the Moodle link, but for 2.2 & 2.3, the student does not click on the Moodle link, and just goes directly to XYZ Homework.  In this example, 2.1 would automatically transfer grades, while 2.2 & 2.3 would not transfer (this is a VERY common occurrence per my experience at Cengage, WebAssign, MobyMax, and here).

I think you both already have this video I put in the Zoom chat, but I will put it here as well.  The 6:09 mark of this video is where the hurdle is, with the blank screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejb69sQ72dI&feature=youtu.be .  Best case scenario, we get this working either today or Monday, you still may have to occasionally manually transfer grades, per the paragraphs above.

Lastly, if you use scenario 1, and never integrate, you can always get the grades over to Moodle by exporting the gradebook, and importing into Moodle.