Deleted Group Restriction: Course Restriction Message Remains

Deleted Group Restriction: Course Restriction Message Remains

by David Fenstermacher -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 3.9.1+ (Build: 20200723)

On a course’s home page, I created a restriction group called “Test” and saved settings.

(It is the only group listed)

I added a user to that group

The message “Restricted Not available unless: You belong to (test group) appeared on the home page

I then proceeded to remove it by:

Removing the user from the “Test” group

Then click on [Delete Selected Group]

It was removed from the list of groups

However, now I have a message at the top of the Course Home page “Restricted Not available unless: You belong to (Missing group)

I have toggled between Adaptable and Boost. And message displays in both themes.

I have tried to recreate the same group and delete it again. But that did not help.

Any thoughts on how I can get this message removed?

Thanks,

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Fenstermacher

Re: Deleted Group Restriction: Course Restriction Message Remains

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
David,

This is by design. The message is there to remind you that you have a restriction setting but that it is no longer valid and needs to be changed: edited to point to a new group, perhaps, or removed if no longer needed. To remove the restriction, simply edit the activity settings and click the x to the right of the group access restriction setting.

Adding a group back with the same name as a group you have already deleted does not do what you expected because Moodle identifies groups by their internal id number and not by name. A new group gets a new id even if you give it previous name. This explains why you can change a group's name at any time without breaking its connections, such as members, restrictions, etc.