Needing to restart Nginx and PhP once in a while

Needing to restart Nginx and PhP once in a while

by Blockchain Man -
Number of replies: 2

Hi people! I am currently administrating a Moodle installation for a couple thousand students. It has been running smoothly since the last month or so but now suddenly I am having to restart both the Nginx and Php7.3fpm process every once in a while (day or so) in order for the site to work. Otherwise, the site just keeps loading and there is no content displayed in the browser. I tried restarting Nginx alone and that worked too, restarting php-fpm alone works too, but I had to restart both if I wanted the site to work for a while. The site is behind a load balancer so both my moodle installations are having the same problem. But students are able to access the site fine from their android app (Moodle app). Also people who were already signed in also are able to access it. I have no idea what's wrong. Help please.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blockchain Man

Re: Needing to restart Nginx and PhP once in a while

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Well, never heard of a LAMP nor LEMP server needing regular service restarts. Could you post complete system information, hardware and system software, and also how installed, the tutorial you followed? Also Moodle release, non-core plug-ins. Any  previous problems?

You could start digging for unusual log entries by raising the debug level to DEVELOPER. See https://docs.moodle.org/de/Debugging.

P.S. Also consider presenting in a realistic name. Personally I find talking to a Blockchain Man not pleasant.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Needing to restart Nginx and PhP once in a while

by Blockchain Man -
Hi, thanks for the reply. The problem was PHP-fpm max children being too low and has been solved now. The first post was in a panic, will make sure to include other details the next time.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)