Student Do a Course - Project Scope

Student Do a Course - Project Scope

by Candice Diemer -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone

In this last sprint I have worked on developing the user stories for the student experience project: Do a Course 

The 3 main areas of improvement for the "Do a Course" project are: 

1. Complete course activities more easily
  2. Understand my progress in activities and courses
  3. Show me what I need to do next

The first area is explained here in more detail and will be the first part of the project.

1. Complete course activities more easily

This entails the following points of friction in the user journey: 

1. It is difficult to know which course activity/s I need to complete when they are restricted by another activity/s. 

As you can see, this layout and interaction does not look very nice for the student! 

There are 5 ways an activity can be restricted and this story will only be looking at the use case where an activity/s is restricted by activity completion.

2. Allow students to mark an activity as complete from within the activity. 

Currently students can only mark an activity as complete on the course page level. So we would like to allow students to interact with the same functionality on the activity level. This scenario is only applicable IF manual completion is enabled for the course. 

User story links below: 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Candice Diemer

Re: Student Do a Course - Project Scope

by Tim Hunt -
I agree that 1) does not look pretty. However, it is very clear and functional. In this situation, the teachers of this course have chosen clarity, so students know what to do - but this is something that the teacher can control

Most importantly, this is not a typical example (based on my experience of how conditional availability). I hope this is not the only example you will consider when contemplating the future of this feature.

Of course, if you can think of simple improvements to make it better, then good
In reply to Candice Diemer

by Patricio Carrasco -

It's great what you did respect to what you have to do, to complete an activity. "the green buttons".

I don't know how that will look, with the example of the first image you showed. maybe they could be hidden and shown when the user needs it ("show more").

In reply to Patricio Carrasco

by Stephen Ogden -
To accommodate those who may be colour blind, perhaps when something is done you could also change the text to say 'Done' instead of 'To do' ?
In reply to Stephen Ogden

by Candice Diemer -

Hi Stephen, 

Thats correct. Both manual completion buttons and the automatic completions badges use words as well as colours to indicate the state they are in. Here are a couple examples: 

AUTOMATIC COMPLETION

MANUAL COMPLETION