Partial Credit within parts of a formulas type question

Partial Credit within parts of a formulas type question

by Ton Boerkoel -
Number of replies: 11

Is there a way to give partial credit within a part of a formula type question?

without having to split up the question into more parts?  In the above example in part 1 the correct x-coordinate was given, but the wrong y-coordinate. Can partial credit be assigned to part 1?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ton Boerkoel

Re: Partial Credit within parts of a formulas type question

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, in a simple and efficient way by using Grading variables and criterion.

In your example, part 1 has answers _0 and _1 with target values a1 and a2.

• Define two grading variables:
    criterion1 = _0 == a1;
    criterion2 = _1 == a2;
  • Define the grading criterion:
    0.5*criterion1 + 0.5*criterion2

See Manual grading criteria ↗ for more details.

You can try it here ↗.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Ton Boerkoel -
Thanks! That works great!
In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Ton,

Another approach, perhaps better, is that shown in Example 04 (last) on Matrices ↗.

Formulas_20200905_1449.png

by Ton Boerkoel -
That looks great!
In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Dominique Bauer -

In the following example, students must calculate the elements of the product of the matrices and make sure to arrange them to form a matrix of the correct dimensions:

Formulas_20200905_2159.png

by Ton Boerkoel -
I looked at the way this was actually built. It uses ajax. On one level its is great that you can produce what you want by going behind the scene. But on a level of principle ... this is not how this should be done for. Putting objects on the correct place by moving pixels, by having to go to the level of HTML, XML, ajax, CSS is not what a site like moodle was created for. Moodle was created for users, front-end users, who can create things using tools like e.g.    and    so that the don't have to go to the the ground level behind the scene. I understand that sometimes it is necessary to 'nudge' things a little bit. I do that in TeX often. But I do not have to manually adjust sizes of, for example, brackets like  [  .  For that, there is a tool in TeX, like  \left[  etc.   It would be awful if every time you needed to find the correct size of  [  in a matrix in TeX, you had to do this manually. I don't mind little nudges, like for example to get . It took me some experimenting to find a TeX fix for that. But even that should be corrected on a more fundamental level in moodleformulas. It is used in math so often that there should be a built-in fix for that, so that front users don't have to nudge arrows to a better position.  The same is the case with matrices. There should be a built-in way to create a matrix of any size with answer fields in it, to create questions like this 

without  having to nudge answer fields like {_0} {_1} {_2} to the correct location using HTML code. I am fine with little nudges, but these seem to be more fundamental issues that should be incorporated as tools. There should be a button like 

that deals with all matrices, inline or on separate lines, allowing for entries like {_0} {_1} etc. in their correct positions, with brackets around them of the correct size. So that, front-end users, don't have to nudge and use duct-tape to  produce them manually.

Anyway ... just a suggestion for future improvements to the formula type question.  [ By the way: the formulas type question is for me by far the most useful question type in moodle quizzes ] 

Thanks, for all the help. I can now create almost all the questions in my linear algebra class that I need.
In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Dominique Bauer -

I don't mind little nudges, like for example to get . It took me some experimenting to find a TeX fix for that. But even that should be corrected on a more fundamental level in moodleformulas.

You can just use \overrightarrow{} as in \(\overrightarrow{v}\). If you think your fix is better, please share it.

But wait, you also want the Formulas question to fix TeX's difficulties. Why not! The Formulas question could also clean the dishes and do the laundry.

A button for matrices is a good suggestion. Thank you. I will mention it to the director of my development department. The Formulas question is a tech giant. In GAFAF (google, Apple...), the last F stands for Formulas question.

by Ton Boerkoel -
The \overrightarrow{v} does not work in my moodle/formulas version, I tried that, that's why I needed to find a fix for it.  (maybe it was fixed in later moodle/formulas editions). 

Not quite sure where the "But wait, you also want the Formulas question to fix TeX's difficulties" comes from.   No not at all!  I am quite happy with my TeX abilities. In my version of moodle  both \vec{v}  and  \overrightarrow{v}  are messed up.  I used an extra TeX nudge to fix that. 

If the current moodle/formulas version displays that correctly great. (That is what I meant ... it should be fixed ... so that the TeX gets displayed correctly in formulas.)

"dishes and laundry"?    I guess I stepped on toes ... I will seize suggesting things.

Vriendelijke groeten.

In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Dominique Bauer -
You are absolutely right and a routine to automatically generate matrices would be great. Unfortunately, human resources are currently a bit scarce for such a development.

Don't be impressed with my bad temper and most importantly keep suggesting improvements and making other suggestions. They are useful, even if they will not be implemented until later.

The rendering of TeX is not influenced by the Formulas question or by any other activity. Try out your TeX equations in an ordinary label. You should get the same results as with the Formulas question or any other question type or activity.

What controls the rendering of TeX equations is the filter used. MathJax gives good results. Check with your system administrator that the TeX filters are correctly configured and up to date. See Tex notation filter ↗ for more details.

Amicalement.

by Ton Boerkoel -
I am not sure what you mean by: Try out your TeX equations in an ordinary label. You should get the same results as with the Formulas question or any other question type or activity.  What exactly is a label?  
I tried using TeX in other questions but that didn't work. I put it in the title field, in the main question field, in answer fields ... it didn't produce a TeXed results anywhere. Don't know what a label is. My school is working on switching to the current moodle version. Hopefully they will update all TeX related filters too. I am happy our IT installed the formulas plugin this semester on my request. I will have to research the TeX notation filter. 

In reply to Ton Boerkoel

by Dominique Bauer -
A label is the most basic resource you can add to a page. It can display text, equations, images, videos, etc.

Turn editing on and go to the bottom of a page. Click on "Add an activity or resource" and select "Label". Add text and equations in the "Label text" and click "Save and return to course". Then, whatever you put in the "Label text" box will be displayed on the current page.