My Courses in Nav Drawer not showing completed courses

My Courses in Nav Drawer not showing completed courses

by Stephen Wallace -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

I am having some weird behavior in 3.8.x that I don't understand. In the nav drawer under "My Courses", all of my enrolled courses display fine. That is, until one of the courses is completed. Once it is completed, it disappears from the My Courses. However, in the Dashboard, it still shows it under "My Courses" it shows all of my courses. So this behavior seems inconsistent. 

Any ideas? Explanations? Also, the way the "enrol_get_my_courses" function works is to get all courses enrolled, regardless of course completion. (This is used in the {mycoursesmenu} option in filtercodes, thus adding more inconsistency in the results.)

Thanks and best regards!

Stephen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Wallace

Re: My Courses in Nav Drawer not showing completed courses

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
So, the nav drawer and dashboard don't care about internal course completion. Dashboard usually goes off of how many activities have completion criteria and are complete by that criteria, so if your course has five activities and five resources but only three of each are actually used for course completion, the dashboard will always say that completed students are 60% complete if they did not do the optional activities and resources.

How the dashboard and nav drawer actually display relates to open/close dates of the course settings.

Dashboard can be set to only current courses (per user choice) which means any course they are enrolled in and are 'open'. It can also show past (closed) courses or future (opening on a future date) courses.

The nav drawer shows in progress courses, even if they have completed. They will disappear from the nav drawer when the course is no longer 'current' or has a day in the past for the ending date in course settings.
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Stephen Wallace -

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

This is weird then because I have a course set up that doesn't have an end date and is currently open. However, once the course was completed, it disappeared from my navigation drawer but it does show in the Dashboard. I could understand the end date but with it being open, is there a way to maintain this in the nav drawer?

by Melanie Scott -
That is weird. I went to mine and you're right. My nav drawer only has 7 courses and I've got a couple that are current that don't show up. Maybe 7 is the limit? How many do you have? I looked around a bit and don't find a particular setting...might take some searching.

I know some of the organization is by course ID sometimes but some of the courses on my list are old and some are new and the missing ones are newer...it's a mystery...

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I believe that the NavDrawer is designed to show 10 courses, as I can remember. But maybe this is a Boost theme number, and that other themes might be able to allow more (or less.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Stephen Wallace -
I have the setting set to more than 10. The situation I was experiencing happened when I only had 2 courses enrolled and then 1 was completed. upon completion, it disappeared from teh navbar (though available in the other areas like Dashboard.)

by Melanie Scott -

I know that there is a 'how  many courses to display' feature but I think that is specific to things like category display and search...and if it should be 10, mine is not working properly...

by Rick Jerz -
I recall the "10" being hard-coded into Moodle. But maybe this is now an adjustable feature. But I can't find anything like this in Moodle 3.9.

by Rick Jerz -

Can you be a little more specific about the setting that you are referring to?  Where is it?  (Admin | Courses | ???, for example.)

by Joost Elshoff -
Hi Stephen,

Have you checked to see if there were any course completion settings for the course now missing in the nav bar? In regular Boost, you'd find these by going to the course > cogwheel > Course completion. In the first tab, there should be a listing of enabled course completion conditions.

If this is the case, and you completed all required work, that would explain why this particular course isn't a current one any more (I guess the developers chose to only list current ones: startdate < today, enddate > today, visible = 1 and completed = 0). You could check to see if the missing course does show up in the Course Overview block on your dashboard, with the 'Completed' / 'Past' filter turned on.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Stephen Wallace -
All of the activities on the course completion have indeed been completed. When I go to the Dashboard and choose "Past" my course that disappeared form the navbar shows up. If I select "In Progress" it doesn't show up. So basically, completed courses are no longer visible EVEN though there has not been an end date set. I use the function "enrol_get_my_courses" and this returns courses that I am enrolled in, even those that have been completed. Is there a similar function that returns the same courses that navbar displays?

Thanks.

by Michael de Raadt -
I found a ticket for this that someone had created without much detail.

I've added a bit more information to try and move this along.

I suggest you watch and vote for MDL-69996.