Second email for password recovery

Second email for password recovery

by Matt Johnson -
Number of replies: 1

Is there some way to allow students to add a secondary email address to Moodle for password recovery?

Right now when a student first logs into Moodle LDAP adds their school address to their Moodle account.  Most students don't ever change this, which is good because it forces them to check their school address for all communications especially when teachers send notices through Moodle.

But not so great for password recovery.  Because their school email is gmail and we use SSO with Moodle as the Identity Provider.  So if they can't get into Moodle they can't get to their email.

I know you can use the Alternate Email address in the Notifications Preferences to send all notifications to the alternate email, but that doesn't seem to affect the password reset email.   In the past I manually created a custom field and edited the password reset library to send a copy to both the default email and the email in this custom field.  But that's clearly not a viable solution long-term.

How have other schools dealt with student password resets?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Johnson

Re: Second email for password recovery

by Hay B -
Hi,
I know this was a little while ago but I wondered if you ever came up with a solution to your problem?
We have a similar issue. Our students' accounts are set up using email addresses generated on our web hosting and then I set up mail forwarders for these addresses to a 'contact' email of their choice stored in a custom field. This ensures they receive and can read all messages from Moodle (including any password reset emails). Our problem is that when students need to reset their password, they have often forgotten their usernames and the only email they are aware of is the 'contact' email address - which Moodle doesn't check for in the database in order to send out a password reset email.
I would be interested to know where and how you were able to alter the password reset library to affect its behaviour so I can look at how it checks emails against the database and possibly change it to check our custom field too.