Own Airnotifier-Server with standard Moodle-App

Own Airnotifier-Server with standard Moodle-App

by Florian Emrich -
Number of replies: 1

Is it possible to use your own Airnotifier server with the standard app?
To explain: Our school has a slightly modified Moodle installation provided by the government. This includes a premium plan of the app. However, push messages are deactivated due to privacy issues. It is not possible to get a key in the administration area.

My idea now was to set up a separate server for Airnotifier. Or does it only work with a custom app? I have tried to install the server with these instructions, but absolutely no messages are sent. There is also nothing in the log of the server: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=391095#p1632668

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florian Emrich

Re: Own Airnotifier-Server with standard Moodle-App

by Noel De Martin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi there,

I don't think it's possible to send messages to the official app from a different server. The application includes a couple of files called google-services.json and GoogleService-Info.plist with information about the Airnotifier server, that's what you need to modify in your custom app in order to use a different server.

The reason it works like this is security. If anyone could use a custom server to send push notifications to the official application, it would be possible to impersonate others. So everything needs to go through our Airnotifier server at some point.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)