STACK/Maxima errors after upgrade

Re: STACK/Maxima errors after upgrade

by Christopher Sangwin -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I've been looking into this, i.e. I've installed Maxima 5.43.2, and 5.44.0, then run all the unit tests. There is a subtle change in the behaviour which was causing a significant loss of performance. This is not something you'd notice running Maxima on the desktop, but it was killing the interconnection with STACK. This has taken me a lot longer to sort out than I expected, so thank you for the advanced warning there might be a problem. Much appreciated!

I normally try to be proactive in keeping up with Maxima versions but the last couple of months have been rather busy getting questions working and helping colleagues. I'm fairly sure I've solved the problem, and maxima up to 5.44.0 will be supported in the next release. I'm trying to get this done in time to upgrade our own severs for semester 2, i.e. Jan 2021.

Chris
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by Madhu Avasarala -
Dear Dr. Sangwin, Regarding the issue I posted above, I solved the problem by installing libreadline-dev and sudo ln -s libreadline.so.8.o libreadline.so.7. Now CAS talks but the issue is the mismatched version (4.32 I have by default in 20.04 Ubuntu) vs the max I can go in STACK being 5.42. So if 5.43. were to be an option in the dropdown I should probably solve my problem of creating the Maxima Image. However, I am unsure about the performance issues you speak of. Any update on this?
In reply to Madhu Avasarala

by Madhu Avasarala -
I also tried to install a different version of Maxima (5.42.2) in 2 different ways on my Ubuntu 20.04 install: 1) Source code and make, This went almost to the end and quit with an error that is too obtuse for me and 2) Using .deb packages. Even with 5.42.2 installed this way, I get an error from CAS stating that LISP version could not be detected and image cannot be created. So it seems that the only way is to work with the default 5.43 and somehow get it to work.