Start building a Course

Start building a Course

by DINA ZIADLOU -
Number of replies: 4

How can I build a course to teach in different organizations globally? 

- The number of courses is one at this moment. 

-The number of participants is 50. 

-The course will be taught in 8-sessions.

-Four instructors will teach this course. (every two sessions of the course will be taught by one instructor)

-The participants will be graded for the course.

-The participants are healthcare stakeholders with MS degrees and terminal degrees. 

- The participants will be connected to Moodle from different countries.

Thanks, 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to DINA ZIADLOU

Re: Start building a Course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Dina. These are very big questions smile First of all, it doesn't (mostly) matter whether the participants are in the same country or a different country when they are all online using Moodle in your course. Are you new to Moodle course creation? If yes then I suggest you go to our site learn.moodle.org where you will see both an Admin Basics and a Teaching Basics self-paced course which you can join and work through in your own time, to get started setting up your course. If you want a faciliated course then on 5 October we are running Learn Moodle 3.9 Basics on the same site where you can ask lots of questions and get live help along with starting to build your course - you could build the course you describe above for example, with feedback from others.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to DINA ZIADLOU

by Arnab Paul -

Hi Dina,

It is a small world. I was working on my experiential learning website based on Moodle and I ended up on your query. Though I am a moodle newbie but the menu driven site of moodle, I believe is pretty much a straightforward thing If you have the content ready.

A little bit of tinkering with your moodle website should help get you your desired outcome.

I just installed the Lambda theme and it is very user friendly. Maybe installing the theme helped.

Best

Arnab

In reply to DINA ZIADLOU

by Ger Tielemans -
To get an idea of what is possible, you could look at what others create in the same situation and how attractive a course can look by using the core and some free third party plugins. (theme Fordson, using badges and hiding the icons in the section overview screen.)
This for example is a MOOC for workers in the water-sector: https://www.washsystemsacademy.org
wash with fordson theme and hide icons
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi all,

Although I think Ger's example is interesting, I think the key concept in building an engaging course lies not in a theme, specific plugins or badges. Instead, a good course should be good regardless the layout of the LMS.

When I do a Moodle onboarding for new teachers / instructors, I tend to follow a path similar to the one Mary and Helen have set up for the official Learn Moodle Basics and Teaching with Moodle MOOCs:

Prepare
  • Establish learning objectives
  • Select resources (media, articles, etc)
  • Select learning activities to use (assignments, forums, quizzes, H5P, ...)
  • Establish desired learning outcomes (at the end of this course, you'll be able to...)
Create
  • Set up the course structure by creating sections
  • Add your text, media and files
  • Add your activities and resources
Advanced create
  • Set up activity completion tracking
  • Set up grading (formative, summative, ...)
  • Set up conditional access rules
Test
  • Add a dummy student user account to play-test your course, or enrol a colleague in a student role to do this
Adjust where necessary

• Use the testers' input to adjust and modify

Publish and deploy
  • Set visibility
  • Set start and end date
  • Enrol students
Be sure to evaluate your course at the end of each edition, so you know where to improve, based on your students' input.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)