Upgrading from moodle 3.4 to 3.9.1

Upgrading from moodle 3.4 to 3.9.1

by Sa'eed Ologunde -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I upgraded my moodle site from3.4 to 3.9.1 today and the website is showing blank screen while the admin area is displaying the error message Exception - syntax error, unexpected '.

Please how do I fix this?

Saeed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sa'eed Ologunde

Re: Upgrading from moodle 3.4 to 3.9.1

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Not sure you can hyper-upgrade from 3.4 to 3.9 without first upgrading to 3.5 (long term support).
Did you check environment when site was a 3.4 to see what moodle said was needed to upgrade?
http://www.syndrega.ch/blog/#php-and-dbms-compatibility-of-major-moodle-releases

Hope you started process with full site backup ... minimally code archive + DB dump. You might need to restore the 3.4 .... then address what needs to be address ... like PHP version/DB version, upgrade to 3.5.highest, stop, check, backup, then upgrade to 3.9.highest.
'SoS', Ken
In reply to Ken Task

by Sa'eed Ologunde -

Thank you.I am on shared hosting.My hosting company did restore of full cpanel backup then after that I recieved the error O:8:"stdClass":3:{s:6:"groups";a:0:{}s:9:"groupings";a:0:{}s:8:"mappings";a:0:{}} on the home page. When I complained to my hosting company I was given this feedback:

Thank you for your reply.
We have checked the error log for your website, and it appears the issue is caused by the following php error:
[30-Aug-2020 14:08:10 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function current_language() in /home/vpncsjdb/public_html/lib/setuplib.php:701
Stack trace:
#0 /home/vpncsjdb/public_html/lib/setuplib.php(560): get_docs_url()
#1 /home/vpncsjdb/public_html/lib/setuplib.php(351): get_exception_info(Object(ParseError))
#2 [internal function]: default_exception_handler(Object(ParseError))
#3 {main}
thrown in /home/vpncsjdb/public_html/lib/setuplib.php on line 701

Checking the log, enable php extensions and connected php modules may help resolving the matter.
You can also investigate it further online or contact a professional developer.

That was why I made effort to upgrade to moodle 3.7 then to 3.9.1 thinking that it will solve the problem.

Can this problem be from my plugin theme? I am using klass theme.

Thank you

Saeed

by Ken Task -
Not sure what Provider/cPanel full restore means ... but ...

Stack trace errors point to language so check setting for lanuage. Yes ... issues could be due to theme's ... check to see if your theme has a compatible version for destination version of core Moodle.
See: https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_klass
You might need to update the theme after first hop upwards.
See: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_klass
Since themes are plugins it's probably a good idea to set site to use a stock theme (boost) prior to upgrading core code. After successful upgrade, set moodle to allow themes for different courses ... then set a test course to your old theme to get a look see.
'Stock' themes in 3.9 are boost and classic - don't think the former (classic) exist prior to 3.9, however.
Check all your plugins prior to upgrading ... one incompatible plugin can cause issues after upgrading.

When your provider gets your site back up, check Environment to see if shared hosting plan has what is required to run 3.9.x ... many don't.

Also, many providers make available to customers 'one click installers' for Moodle ... as well as 'one click upgrades' ... are you using those?

'SoS', Ken
In reply to Ken Task

by Sa'eed Ologunde -

Thank you.Yes. I am using 'one click upgrades' and 'one click installers' for Moodle

by Ken Task -
Let me guess ... provider recommended you come to these forums to resolve the issue ... that was created by software (one clickers) that provider provides customers to install/upgrade a moodle.

Those one clickers to not do an environment check that Moodle has internally.

Criminal in my book ... those one clickers are commercial ... no one here in these forums works for the company that make them. So your provider, that you pay for hosting, doesn't support modules they supply in your cPanel ... which is also commercial.

The only thing I can suggest is to demand they restore what you had prior to your attempt to upgrade ... that much they should be able to do. And once your site is back up and running, do the Server Admin Environment check.

'SoS', Ken
Average of ratings: Useful (1)