Sequential quiz - WCAG - legal

Re: Sequential quiz - WCAG - legal

by Steven Ouellette -
Number of replies: 0
Yeah, I tried hard to get them to use Moodle. The first Student Honor Code quiz was indeed on Moodle for a number of years. (I made it when we had, *gack* ecollege at the time which was so horrible.)

I think the quiz bank is not about cheating, it is about giving the student different, challenging scenarios so they think/learn about the principles of academic honesty. At least it was when I was in charge of it. But really the point is not the quiz itself, it is part of a system that is intended to change the on-campus culture with respect to cheating/plagiarism. Professors cannot by themselves change this (IMHO and supported by research) with any test technology up to and including TurnItIn. It takes a multi-pronged approach as I describe above to change the culture, and a quiz about the honor code by itself is not going to work. As part of an overall process, a quiz requirement can reinforce its importance and some of what seem to students to be the more subtle points. (The one I ran into was submitting work you did for one class to another. Specifically forbidden by the SHC, but we ran into it frequently until we started doing the SHC quiz.)

When I taught at the business school, I had one student per class per semester that plagiarized. (Was even featured on the local news about this.) And that was lower than a lot of profs. When I moved over to Engineering, it wasn't that frequent due to the subject matter (Engineering Management), but maybe one student per year. Until we instituted the full suite. Then we caught a pair and sanctioned them. Caught them again and kicked them out of the program (heartbreaking as they were foreign students). I can think of maybe two more events after that, in a department of maybe 200-400 students, almost all remote. The good thing about students being ephemeral is you can change the culture very quickly with a faculty that apply the rules consistently. We were required to report all HC violations to the student honor code board.

Accessibility is a HUUUGE issue at CU Boulder. The DOJ sued them first right out of the gate for accessibility issues. Anyone running into accessibility issues would be wise to contact CU Boulder's Office of Information Technology.

I never taught with Canvas. I love Moodle though, and still use it for my business.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)