How to reach a separated question bank?

How to reach a separated question bank?

by Istvan Peto -
Number of replies: 3

Our department has been using moodle for many years and we have developed a quite extensive Question Bank. Sooner or later we will join the main elearning portal of the school (moodle 3.9) and we would like to move the Question Bank as well. The courses of the elearning portal is organized by semesters (each is a course category) and we are uncertain where the QB should be placed in order to:

• It can be reached from each of our courses from this semester forth
  • Only teachers of our department can edit and use these questions
  • Other departments can use this method in context of their QB as well

My best guess would be a separated course category (let's say 'Qestions of XY department') which is a child of the top level 'System' category. According to the https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Question_sharer documentation it can be reached by a user with a special role if this particular category was in the direct hierarchy of course categories. But it is not the case since the hierarchy of course categories based on semesters.

The other solution would be to assign this course to two categories (semesters, departments) but it's not possible as far as I know.

So my question is: Would it be possible to reach a Question Bank in a course category that is not direct ancestor of my course?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Istvan Peto

Tárgy: How to reach a separated question bank?

by Istvan Peto -

Or would it be possible somehow to change the access rigths to a brach of Question Bank?

In reply to Istvan Peto

Re: Tárgy: How to reach a separated question bank?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think Moodle does not currently support what you want to do. It is a fundamental flaw with the design of the question bank, and I am currently trying to think what to do about it.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Istvan Peto

Re: Tárgy: How to reach a separated question bank?

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Depending on you work flow, a possible work around is to move either the question bank or the courses while the quizzes are created. This works if courses are set up before the semester starts. In that case you could have one category that has your departmental questions and courses being developed and would move the course to the correct semester when complete. This would be a pain though if there are many changes during the semester.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)