Moodle install insists I enter a password, but will not let me enter a password

Moodle install insists I enter a password, but will not let me enter a password

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle 3.7.7. Attempting to install with nginx and postgres. I am using a home PC. The OS is Devuan, which is a systemd free Debian.

I am installing in the /var/www/html/moodle directory. I have set ownership to all directories and files to www-data:www-data. Nginx has rw permission to all directories and files.

I seem to be having the same problem as this person from 2017:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=362794

I have no eye or pencil icon next to "New password."

There is a link that reads "Clink to enter text" but that does nothing.

In the forum I reference earlier it was suggested to include "cgi.fix_pathinfo=1" in the php.ini file.

I am using nginx, not apache, so - I think - my php.ini file is:

/etc/php/7.3/fpm/php.ini

not

/etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini

Anyway, I tried editing the php.ini, but that did nothing.

Any ideas appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: Moodle install insists I enter a password, but will not let me enter a password

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The problem is your nginx setup. See Nginx

I saw in your other post that you were having problems with the setup. The nginx configuration is vital as it will cause exactly this problem if not correct. 

You may know lots about it but I would advise you against using "unusual" Linux distros. There are lots of people here who can help with Ubuntu and CentOS.

PS - please don't make multiple posts about what is appears to be the same issue smile
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Moodle install insists I enter a password, but will not let me enter a password

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yep, those five or more "concurrent" discussions blocked me participating in any one of them. Imagine a fraction of the community here making that kind of noise. sad

To the subject, the "editadvanced" for the initial admin password fails, if the script is not given the PATH_INFO. The Nginx doc page has it. About the Github tutorial, you have to ask its author.

BTW, there is also a Debian faction on the moodle.org. In fact, Debian is the "mother" of both Ubuntu. and Devuan - Devuan is just a Systemd-free flavour of Debian. wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by Walter Byrd -
It was not my intention to post in different threads. After I had posted, I went through the list of posts and found other issues that I thought might be similar to my own.
In reply to Walter Byrd

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In which case I would stick to the same thread and post links to the other ones you found.

We are not just being difficult... it gets very confusing if you are posting in loads of different threads. Which one to reply to?