Diary - Similar to Journal but allows for daily entries

Diary - Similar to Journal but allows for daily entries

by AL Rachels -
Number of replies: 44
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Diary is based off the Journal plugin. It allows a user to create a new entry each day. Each entry can be individually graded, with overall rating results being shown based on the selected aggregate type of rating. Currently, the user can edit any entry, but cannot start a new entry on a skipped day. I will probably add that capability, soon.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Diary - Similar to Journal but allows for daily entries

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Al, where can I find this plugin?
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_diary
Hopefully you can get it at the above link. Right now I'm with my wife at her chemotherapy treatment so let me know if you have problems with that address and I will arrange something different when we get home.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks Al. I am sure it will be published there soon. I hope your wife's treatment goes well.
In reply to Justin Hunt

by AL Rachels -
Hi Justin,
Right now the best place to get a copy of the plugin code is from github: https://github.com/drachels/moodle-mod_diary
I am continuing to develop "new" stuff and try to keep the latest code up to date in the, Releases, section over to the right side of the page I just listed. There will be a v1.1.0 there later today.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Right now, the Diary plugin is still awaiting approval, but I have been steadily adding "new stuff" so the version is now Diary v1.5.0.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Just created Diary v2.1.0 v2.1.1 that includes a couple of new items.

1. On the report.php page, the teacher has two new tools, Sort ascending, and Sort descending. They are implemented as a user preference so individual teachers can use whichever they want, even when multiple users are working on the same diary ratings.
  2. There is a new, Edit all, setting where each Diary can be set to enable/disable editing of old entries. When enabled, a student can edit any previous entry. When disabled, the student can edit only the current day's entry.
Almost immediately after creating the v2.1.0 release, I realized that the report page was missing the diary name header and the sort order label. So, I have added them to report.php and published a new v2.1.1 version of diary, which is available for download now. I have to take of for the rest of today to take care of some family business, so it will not be until tomorrow before I can try to update the pictures , etc., on the download page and on the Diary wiki page.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Joel MacDonald -

Hello Al,

I am testing the Diary plugin for our instance of Moodle (3.7). I made an entry and the active button now says 'Start new or edit today's entry'. However, when I click it I only go back to today's entry. I don't seem to be able to start a new entry. What am I missing?

Joel

In reply to Joel MacDonald

by AL Rachels -
As long as it is the same calendar day, you will edit the same entry. Tomorrow when it's a new calendar day, you will get a new entry to start writing in. Same thing each new day. Currently you cannot add an entry for a skipped date.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Too late in my day to attempt to do a release, because I have not completed testing, but I have just got a new Diary version 3.0.0 working. The big new item is that if the teacher enables it, a user can create an entry for almost any date. At least every date I've tried has worked, but truthfully, I have limited my attempts to only plus or minus 30 days, so far. This will help eliminate entries that start out with, "Yesterday, I...," or even, "Last week I was..." I will keep ya'll posted with my progress on this.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Just released Diary v3.1.1 which includes a new reportsingle.php file. This new file creates a report page that looks like the regular one, but includes ALL the entries for a single selected student. The selection link is located right after the Entry title of each entry on the normal report page.

When looking at the new report single page, the teacher can add or change grades and feedback to as many of the entries as they desire. When they click, Save all my feedback, the system will update all the entries and take the teacher back to the regular report page.

If the teacher does not want to make any changes, there is a button, Return to report page for - Current Diary Name, that will return to the regular report page.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
While working on Diary v3.4.1, I finally took the time to check out the, Essay (autograde) quiz question type and I really like all the extra statistics details given when an essay is graded. I have been working on adding some of the same capability to the Diary plugin. I still have a lot of work to do, plus it will be broken up into stages. If you want to see the current development, head over to: http://www.drachels.com/moodle311/login/index.php, and look in the Diary Development course. Please leave comments there, whether good or bad.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
I have a BETA version of Diary 3.5.0 that is on the site accessible via the link in my last entry. Log in details are on the site. It has taken me a lot longer to get it this close to being ready due to the great amount of code being added. Also, not too long ago, I had a request from Jason Press to add the capability of transferring entries from Journal activities, into Diary activities. Jason has given lots of feedback to get things working correctly for this new transfer capability. He even spotted and let me know about a couple of other bugs in other areas of the program. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone willing to go take a look.

New capabilities of note:
Lots of new statistics such as counts for characters, words, sentences, paragraphs, unique words, unique short words, unique medium words, unique long words, characters per sentence, sentences per paragraph, words per sentence, long words per sentence, total syllables, average syllables per word, average word length, and average words per paragraph.
It also includes Lexical density, Flesch Kincaid grade level, Flesch reading ease and Fog index.

I am working on being able to selectively turn all that off and on, on an individual basis, but right now it is all or nothing..

Currently, one out of all those statistics can be picked for an auto rating and I've even included a button that will let you automatically add all the stats into the teachers feedback along with the rating.

There is even more in the works, but that's enough for now.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
I have just released Diary v3.5.0 with all the statistics listed in the last entry: counts for characters, words, sentences, paragraphs, unique words, unique short words, unique medium words, unique long words, characters per sentence, sentences per paragraph, words per sentence, long words per sentence, total syllables, average syllables per word, average word length, and average words per paragraph, along with Lexical density, Flesch Kincaid grade level, Flesch reading ease and Fog index.

It adds a lot of new database fields and language strings along with a bunch of new settings. I will update the documentation over the next few days.

I am sorry for those few users who are using Moodle 3.6 and lower, as this version will not work with them without changing some code, so I am dropping support for M3.6 and lower. Warning, the next version of Diary will probably be ONLY for Moodle 4.0 and above because of Moodle code changes. In all the releases so far, there are a number of code snippets that have to use multiple snippet versions, depending on the Moodle versions. Moodle 4.0 has one that I have not figured out a way to bypass, yet move on to the new Moodle code.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -

For anyone interested, Diary 3.6.0 will be coming soon with some major changes to it's auto-rating capabilities. Right now, auto-rating in v3.5.2 only lets you select one of four items, character, words, sentence, or paragraphs, to rate. The upcoming new version will let you do all four at once, or any combination of the four. You can go checkout and play with the current state of the code at this URL: http://www.drachels.com/moodle311/course/view.php?id=4#section-1

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Sorry, I have not had time to add more example Diaries and entries, just yet, but the current code on the test site, seems to be working as I expect it to, but I still need to do more testing. You can set up auto rating for any combination of characters, words, sentences, or paragraphs. Each one of those can be set to penalize an entry if any one of the items is below or above the min or max setting for the item. The potential auto-rating automatically changes based on the possible results.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Well, another work day for me has gone by, and I think I finally have a release candidate. Will be at least one more day of hunting them pesky bugs. This is three days in a row that I found at least one item I forgot to check/consider.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Diary v3.6.0 is now available on the plugin download page. There are a lot of major changes and I will try to produce some photos and instructions regarding the changes, just as soon as I can. I am being delayed due to my poor, little dog, not feeling well and waking me in the middle of the night needing to be medicated. She has been getting monthly shots for years due to allergies and I am becoming more certain lately, that one of them is grass! It does not help that, being a Chiweenie, half Chihuahua and half Dachshund, she only has about one-and-a-half inches of ground clearance and with all the rain we have had lately, here chest is always dragging, even the next day after I mow the lawn. 😢
In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oh I am sorry about your dog, Al 😒 (I have two cats both with summer allergies to something outside, but fortunately when summer is over they feel better)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -
Thanks for our concern. Shamefully, it took me a couple of years to learn about one of her food allergies. She loved a rawhide stick wrapped with dried chicken, beef, and duck. I eventually realized she kept leaving the duck. Had to totally drop them as juice from the duck would be all over the part she would eat, and cause her problems anyway. I think the grass is new just this year, although the vet two weeks ago mentioned some type of creepy crawly bug, that could be the problem. Either way, the fix is frequent medicated baths, which she hates with a passion.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Just fixed a couple of bugs in the Diary code. One that I have known about for a while and the other that has been in the statistics code, but undetected, ever since I created it. Further details are on the Moodle DIary download page.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
I am sorry to say that it has taken me a while to make needed progress on the two main "TODO items" I have been working on, but I am very close to having a possible new Diary release.
Item 1. Back in February, Dr. Nellie Deutsch requested, "I'd like to get notified when a student adds an entry. Does the feature exist?" This next release will include an instant email feature (no edit wait period) as a teacher preference for the activity. In other words, an individual teacher can decide if they want to get inundated with emails. 😆
Item 2. Back in April, Becky Bishop asked, "Is it possible to set the Diary activity up to have a different prompt for students to answer each week of a 27 week course?" This next release will include the capability to add multiple, time released prompts, each with it's own minimum, maximum and percent penalty setting for characters, words, sentences, and paragraph.
The current code version still has some debug information that shows up in various places, but the current code can be tried out at https://www.drachels.com/moodle311/course/view.php?id=4 with log in details listed on the log in page. If you want to try the email capability, let me know and I will make you a teacher with your own email address.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Hi Everyone,
I can finally say that I think I will have Diary v3.7.1 ready for release in just a few more days. For the past three days I've been doing final bug searches and code cleanup, and my policy is that if I find one, I wait another day and check for more. I found and fixed about a dozen this morning, so I am in delay mode.  🤪 They were all caused by my poor memory.  😒 This version includes both instant email notifications and automatically timed release writing prompts. The new prompt system required a total rewrite of the auto-rating calculations code. When developing that, I fixed the auto-rating for characters first, and being at the end of my work day, I left the others undone with the idea that I would do them the next day. I bet you can guess what happened...with my poor memory, I forgot to go back and do the others. 😢

If you want to try the new stuff out, you can click the link in the last entry I posted. Drat! I just remembered... 😩 I have a ton of documentation I need to do ASAP!
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
😬 Rats! Waited a day, and when starting work, I immediately found a bug where I was using the wrong language string for one of the column headings in the CSV download file. Even worse, I forgot that I need to rewrite the download code to include all the new prompt data. 😲

Note that this does not stop anyone from trying out the code.
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Diary v3.71 upgrade

by AL Rachels -
For anyone interested, I have pushed a release candidate for Diary v3.71 to github, but I still need to modify the privacy.php file to include the new prompt data, for those sites that require GDPR compliance. Hopefully, it will be done and bug checked in a couple of days.

This new version has a lot of new stuff, mostly, "under the hood" and not directly visible, and on numerous occasions when I thought I was done, I would discover a bug, or that the visible output of the new stuff was not looking the way I wanted it too.

Anyway, this version has a new capability that to me, will really be handy when using a diary activity in situation where the teacher would like to know right away that a student has submitted a new diary entry. Each teacher can toggle an ON and OFF preference link for email's. When on, email's are sent right away. When OFF, they are sent after the usual site editing delay setting.

Another major new capability, is that the teacher can set up one diary activity with multiple, timed release, writing prompts with new auto-rating settings for each new writing prompt. New prompts are shown in the diary introduction based on start and stop dates as long as the dates do not overlap. This can be a really handy item when a teacher wants students to write on a particular subject each day, week, month, or any timed interval.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the release candidate is installed on this course link: https://m3x.drachels.com/course/view.php?id=4
Still need to add some example prompts, which I will try to do in few minutes. If anyone wants to try this out as a teacher, email me and I will provide details on where to try it out.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Just posted an update in the Diary download comments. I have just created a stable Diary v3.7.1 branch on github and hope to do the actual release tomorrow.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
I have just posted the new Diary v3.7.1 over in the downloads area. It has been checked on Apache and NGINX, using MySQL, MariaDB, and PostgreSQL, on Moodle's from 3.7 to the latest 4.1 release candidate, and seems to be working as expected. This release includes fixes for 29 of my trouble tickets for Diary, but in reality there were many others that I just fixed as I found them, so I am sure I probably missed something obvious. If you spot any problems please let me know. I will try to work on the documentation as soon as I can, but I have multiple requests to fix things in my other plugins.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Gyandev McCord -
Happy Thanksgiving, Al. (I gather that, since you posted at 3:49 AM my time, you're not in the US, but Happy Thanksgiving anyway. I'm certainly thankful that you've developed Diary!) I just found out about Diary, and I'm eager to give it a go — or rather, to have our tech guy activate it so I can give it a go. He raised the question of whether activating Diary will automatically deactivate Journal. I have no idea how these things work — I'm only a teacher who's eager for the features of Diary — so I figured I had better check with The Boss. Can Diary and Journal coexist (so I can easily back up the descriptions of all my Journal activities directly to Diary), or will Journal disappear if Diary gets activated? Thank you.
In reply to Gyandev McCord

by AL Rachels -
Hi Gyandev,

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. On the contrary, I do live in the US. South Alabama, in fact.

No, adding Diary to your Moodle does not affect Journal in any way! But, if you should want to switch from using Journal over to using Diary, that it can help you to do. Just place a Diary activity in the same course as the Journal you want to replace/quit using/delete. In Diary, click on the, Journal to Diary xfr, menu item. The new page you will be shown, shows you all the Journal's and Diaries in the course, and lets you pick which Journal to transfer entries from, and the destination Diary where they are to go. There are also a couple of options regarding email notice of the transfer, and whether to include information in the diary entry feedback regarding the transfer.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Gyandev McCord -
This is so helpful and thoughtful, Al. Thanks very much. I can hardly wait for my next course (in January) to try out Diary.
In reply to Gyandev McCord

by AL Rachels -
You don't have to wait. Send me an email (my email is in my profile) and I will tell you where and how to try it as a student or teacher.
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Diary - Include/Exclude Spaces in Character Count

by AL Rachels -

While working on other stuff, I happened to think that it might be a good idea to allow the teacher to select whether to include or exclude spaces as part of the character count in their writing assignments. After all, it is the actual words the student writes that are important and hard to do really well. If spaces can be counted as part of a required character count, a student can "game" the count by using many small words, each separated by a space that counts to their writing total. All the "extra" spaces dilutes and contributes nothing to their writing. However, if spaces are excluded from the character count, the student has to come up with "more substance" to get to the desired character count total.

Looking for input - should I make a setting giving the teacher the capability to include/exclude spaces in the character count?

In reply to AL Rachels

by Leslie Harris -
Thank you for creating this plugin. I tend to recommend it to faculty members, because it is definitely an improvement over the Journal activity. We are a bit confused about how to turn off email notifications when a student submits a new entry to the Diary. There is a link on the right-hand side of the Diary page that switches between "Toggle emails OFF" and "Toggle emails ON," but that doesn't seem to affect whether email notices are sent out to faculty members for new student postings.

Is that the purpose of that "toggle"? Does "Toggle emails OFF" mean that the Diary *wont'* send out email notifications? (That is *not* how it is behaving.) Does that "Toggle" mean something else?

We would definitely like to know how to prevent the Diary plugin from sending new posts email notifications every time there is one, since the faculty member would prefer *not* to receive those messages.
In reply to Leslie Harris

by AL Rachels -
Hi Leslie,
Yeah, I think the way this has wound up operating, is not really ideal. IN fact, it is something I am currently working on changing. If you want to just turn emails off, go to Site administration > Plugins > Diary, and at the bottom of the resulting page change both email settings to, No. I think for the next release, I will change those two default settings to No, instead of the current, Yes.
In reply to Leslie Harris

by AL Rachels -
@Leslie
I have been greatly delayed due to dental surgery, a cold, and infections in both eyes. I've basically been a photo-phoebe going on six weeks. Anyway, I have fixed the email toggle problem but need a couple more days to finish up testing, before trying to do a release. If you would like, the current code is in the Diary v3.7.2 BETA available on github. The new code is actually a selector next to the, per page, selector. I have also added a selector there for show/hide the statistics, too. It's for everyone while the email is for teachers and higher, only.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Been very busy working on other plugins but got a pull request for Diary, this morning. Before I say anything about the new version, I was reading over the last few entries here, and I realized one important thing about that email toggle. If at least one of the two options, for teachers or for students, is not set to yes in the Diary activity settings, then the toggle will not show up at all. If at least one or both, is set to yes, then the toggle will show and can be toggled ON or OFF.

Anyway, I have a new Diary v3.7.5, available at git hub, but it has not been added to the Diary download page just yet as I have not had a chance to test on Moodle 3.11 and 4.0. My old Behat testing server broke long ago, and like others in forums recently, I am struggling to get a new one to run properly. The main items of interest in this version, is Completion settings for View, Receive a grade, and Receive a passing grade.

I'll try to get testing done tomorrow and try for a release, even if I have to just do manual testing like I've been doing for the past three years.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Sorry that it has taken a week but Diary v3.7.5 is now available for download. Along with the visible addition of, Completion settings for View, Receive a grade, and Receive a passing grade, there were also a bunch of other fixes made to the code.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Trent McNeeley -
I'm testing Diary now in our testbed environment (Moodle 4.1.x+). I'm trying to properly set up two use-case scenarios. If anyone has thoughts/feedback/ideas/whatever that could help me avoid pitfalls, I'd appreciate it.

Use 1: Nursing Clinical Instructors would be "students" reporting to classroom faculty "teachers" about how things went at clinical sites on a given day. The tricky part here is that classroom faculty have a Teacher role in our Moodle courses, while clinical instructors have a Non-Editing Teacher role, so I'm uncertain how this will work in a course that then also has "real" students. Would I need to have a separate Moodle course for this Diary?

Use 2 is a bit more straightforward. A similar thing with feedback through the Diary, but in this case it would be "real" education students reporting back to faculty about experiences in the field, such as when student teaching or doing live observations. In this scenario, the Diary would almost be like a portfolio. Thoughts?
In reply to Trent McNeeley

by AL Rachels -
Hi Trent,

I think in both use cases, you can probably just use separate Diaries. You can then use, Restrict access > groups to control access and visibility to each of the Diaries.

Just be sure to make use of your testbed and try it out. The real pitfall is generating enough "sample" content for testing the different possibilities.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Trent McNeeley -
Starting our first "live" test today in an entirely different scenario, with students being asked to make 3 diary entries in each of 5 learning modules over the course of the next 8 weeks. Fingers crossed. So far, the only concern of the faculty member was related to the start/end dates of the prompts. The faculty member was unclear that they could not overlap, so all 3 prompts he wanted to include could not run concurrently, so I had him make each open for 5 days.
In reply to Trent McNeeley

by AL Rachels -

If a faculty memeber wants three prompts to run concurrently, just put all three prompt texts into one prompt. Just make sure the start and end dates give the students adequate time to write what they need to. Just be aware that if you are going to be using any of the automatic rating, you will only have one setting for the three prompts combined into one.

On my TODO list I do have plans to implement a prompt version without them being time based. Just will need to add some sort of submission indicator so that when the student is finished using one prompt, clicking some sort of "submission button" will let them proceed to the next writing prompt. I've just been having too much to do and not enough time in which to do it. 😬

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Just added new code to the master branch at github, that allows for an optional title for each Diary entry. I still need to do testing on various versions of Moodle before actually doing a release, but it is looking good so far. I am way past my quitting time, so tomorrow I will add it to places where anyone can look at it and try it out.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Sorry to be so slow about doing any updates to Diary. It is unfortunate, but my eyes for the past two plus years, have been giving me problems so that I have had to limit my "screen" time each day. Plus I find that as I get older, I tend to be easily side-tracked and do not consistently work on the same thing each day until it is done. LOL. I have actually added a TODO list to my Moodle site that I use for development, but then I mostly forget to look at it until, I want to add to it.

Anyway, I had a Diary v3.7.8 release candidate on my github site that I just learned had a bug in it that affected only new installs. I do know that some users have downloaded and installed that version. So just in case, I have jumped straight to a "plus" release that fixes that and provides a few new things. I have added a new prompt background color, so that prompts can be made to "stand out" and help them be noticed. I have added prompts to the report and reportsingle pages.