Formula Question Type

Formula Question Type

by Susan Ware -
Number of replies: 10

HI Everyone

I am using moodle 3.5.3.

I love the formula question type and I am wondering if it is possible to have the various parts within a part given marks individually. 

I am also wondering if it is possible to give feedback to the various parts within a part.

Please see the attached question.

Thank you everyone.

Kind Regards

Sue

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Ware

Re: Formula Question Type

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Susan,

I have prepared an example for you. It is simple, and if you examine it you will understand how the Formulas question works for what you want to do.

I have also included a bit of code for formatting so that you get some nice feedbacks in each cell of the table. Hope you like it.

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding this example.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Susan Ware -

HI Dominique

Thank you so much for your reply.

I can see how each separate part works and the marks awarded when separated into parts, however I am wanting in part 1 to have multiple answer fields with feedback and marks that are different for each answer field - is this possible?

So ... if we combined your solution into part one - how would that work with different marks for C1 and D2, and different feedback for these answer fields?

Look forward to your solution smile

Kind Regards

Sue

In reply to Susan Ware

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Susan,

I do not understand. Please explain why you would like all the answers to be in the same part when you can conveniently have them in different parts. This is what the parts are for, that is, to have different answers with different marks.

It's possible to have different answers with different grades in the same part using Manual grading criteria ↗, but this feature is more advanced and honestly I recommend you do it in a simple way using different parts. Also, if you want to have different feedbacks for each answer, you must use different parts.

by Susan Ware -
HI Dominique

Thank you again for replying ... I have large financial statements that can take the parts up to 50 or more - so it just about makes it unmanageable in terms of loading the question and editing all the separate parts- so maybe I need to use a different type of question.  I have attached a graphic of a small financial statement.

Thank you.
Kind Regards
Sue
Attachment Formula Question with multiple parts.JPG
In reply to Susan Ware

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Susan,

Probably a spreadsheet question type would do better. There may be some good ones, I don't know. Rather, I was interested in the problem of having up to 50 or more parts in a Formulas question.

I created a few rows in a table, then saved the question in Moodle XML format. I then edited the file using Notepad++ to duplicate these rows and adjust the part numbers. Finally, I imported the XML file back into the quiz. The result is shown below. The question has 96 parts and behaves very well. Each part can have its own mark and feedbacks. There may be a few seconds of delay when loading the quiz, but that's okay.

It's a bit boring to put together such a template, but once it's done, it seems to me that it can serve as a good canvas to build your financial statements. The XML file is attached below.

Formulas_20200822_0156.png

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There was a spreadsheet question type
https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=qtype_type_calc_sheet
But it last supported for Moodle 2.5 back in 2013.
Generally it is not hard to update plugins to work with recent versions of Moodle, but it would probably take 3 to 5 days of developer time for someone who knows what they are doing.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Susan Ware -
HI Marcus

Yes I looked at the spreadsheet plugin mentioned in your post but I was reluctant to spend a lot of time on it when it had not been updated since 2013.

Thanks for your suggestion - much appreciated.
Kind Rergards
Susan
In reply to Susan Ware

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'but I was reluctant to spend a lot of time '
That was the right choice, when I looked at it a few years ago it didn't work fully with the current version of Moodle back then.
In reply to Susan Ware

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Susan,

As I said earlier, it is possible to have several questions in the same part and, to give different marks to the different questions, you have to use the "Grading criteria". You cannot give individual feedbacks to individual questions in a part, but, of course, you can give different feedbacks to each part. Even in "Adaptive mode", students must answer all questions for a part in order for the part to be graded.

Here is an example of what you can get:

Feel free to ask any questions regarding this example.

by Susan Ware -

Hi Dominque

Yes that makes perfect sense - thank you so much for your help.

Kind Regards

Susan