File resource not displaying properly--sometimes

File resource not displaying properly--sometimes

by Al Henneberger -
Number of replies: 0

I placed a pdf in a file resource a while ago and it worked just fine until recently.  My typical Appearance is as a popup.

Today I got a report that one course's file only showed the first page and what looks like dots for the remaining pages (see image below).  I have sometimes had to reupload the file for it to show correctly.  I did that this time to no avail.  I have changed the Appearance settings to every option.  The only one that will show the full file is Force download.  I verified the source file is good before replacing the current file.  If I select the download option in the popup and open the file it shows up correctly.  The failed popups do show the correct number of pages at the top.

I have checked other courses and they are affected too.  But, it only appears to be "large" pdfs.  What is large you ask?  Good question.  I just did some checking of various courses.  In one course, a 16 page pdf works and in a different course a different 16 page pdf fails.  The one that worked is 7.3Mb, the one that doesn't is 4.1Mb.

I am at a loss.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how to correct it?

I run 3.5.3 and have not performed any updates in quite some time, so it is not an update thing.

In the meantime, I shall set the Appearance to Force download until this issue is resolved.

Average of ratings: -