Specification for school have 800/1000 users

Specification for school have 800/1000 users

by Mohamed Aljefri -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

We are going to make a new installation for around 800/1000 simultaneous users, and we are planning to hosted with
 (Goddady or justhost.com)

- what is the best specification and plan (VPS - Dedicated) required for that?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohamed Aljefri

Re: Specification for school have 800/1000 users

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Does it have to be GoDaddy? There are some painful discussion here around their quality. Here is a very recent example: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=408764. Run a forum search https://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5 for more.

Either way, please read the forum documentation and go through the recent very similar discussions in this forum.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
What do you mean by "simultaneous" users? Do you mean, for example, that an instructor might say to these 800 students, "Begin your exam right now"?

I typically have around 200 students each semester in my online courses, which are asynchronous. With 200 students, seldom are more than 30 "online" at any point in time.

Yes, visit some of the discussion that Visvanath recommends.

I do use GoDaddy myself, and I am not financially invested in GoDaddy nor do I work for them in any way. I am just a GoDaddy customer. I know nothing about Justhost.

The thing to remember is that there are many companies that sell servers, but this doesn't mean that they directly support Moodle. For Moodle support (if you need it), consider a Moodle Partner. Definitely do not install Moodle with a hosting company's "one-step button."

by Mohamed Aljefri -
Thanks Visvanath Ratnaweera - Rick Jerz for you reply.

we start with VPS server with JUSTHOST.COM
• Quad Core
• 8 GB RAM
• 120 GB
• 3 TB/month
and the server was down immediately when the load of user was maximum. And we change the plan to dedicated premium:
• 4 cores, 8 threads Intel© Xeon Processor
• 8 MB cache
• 16 GB RAM
• 1000 GB (RAID 1)
• 15 TB/month

and make 3 groups of student to access our website :

1 – Grade 7-9
2 – Grade 4 -6
3 – KG 1-3 & Grad 1- 3

And now is stable but when group 3 which have more student at same time the load of page take more time.
Still we did not test the exam or quiz load So is there a standard specification for number of concurrent users.

Thanks
Mohamed Aljefri

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Since you are asking about concurrent users on system, be a good idea to give number of students in each of the groups you've envisioned/created. How many users are in your group 3?

Number of users on a system does involve configuation of both web service/server and DB server. Both would need tweaking as default values are not enough.

Assuming Linux hosting of some sort, install the following on the/a web server:
Apache2Buddy and MySQLtuner ... both are perl scripts designed to help with configuration of Apache web server(s) and MySQL/MariaDB.

The following is a pretty good explanation of the tools:
https://www.linode.com/docs/web-servers/apache-tips-and-tricks/tuning-your-apache-server/

'SoS', Ken
Average of ratings: Useful (1)