Help - No 'Reply' button in forum

Help - No 'Reply' button in forum

by JPB554 Braithwaite -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there,

We have recently launched our first course on Moodle. Our learners have engaged with the forum however there is no 'reply' button for them to engage with one another. I have tried reviewing all possible settings/permissions and am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jason

Average of ratings: -
In reply to JPB554 Braithwaite

Re: Help - No 'Reply' button in forum

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
  • Are you sure this is a standard forum and not the News/Announcements forum at the top of the course page?
  • Is your course set to Groups but students are not in groups?
  • Is this forum on the front page of your site and not in an actual course?
  • Do your students definitely have the Student role in the course?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by JPB554 Braithwaite -

Thank you for the reply. 

I have checked all of the suggestions other than groups, which I will do. 

The students have been able to post in the forum and the teacher can reply, just there is no reply option for the students. 

Regards 

Jason Braithwaite 

In reply to JPB554 Braithwaite

by Hyim Brandes -

I have the same issue.  We are using moodle 3.9.1 (Build: 20200713)  hosted by moodle.school.

When I create a forum set to "A simple discussion" and set it to separate groups, the reply link disappears for students. When I change the setting to visible groups or no groups the link reappears.  

These are not the News/Announcements forum. The forum is in the course. The students are enrolled as students and put in groups.

Screenshot when set to no groups:

Screenshot when set to no groups.  The reply link appears.

Screenshot when set to separate groups:

Screenshot when set to separate groups.  The reply link is gone.

Please help 🙏🙏🙏

In reply to Hyim Brandes

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello. Yes, I am afraid that the Single simple discussion type forum does not work with separate groups, so this is why they don't see the Reply button. Please see the section Using groups with forums in the documentation Using Forum