Scheduled bulk e-mails

Scheduled bulk e-mails

by José Renato Castro Milanez -
Number of replies: 3

Hello friends, how are you?

I have more than 30000 users at our university and sending messages for all of them via bulk e-mail is too slow.

I know Moodle tries to send them immediately, and if you configure a smtp server like gmail, it will even more slower. Of course, use your server email capabilites are faster than external services.

So, sometime ago I did a solution for an application to save the outgoing e-mails in a database and setup a cron job to send them in packages, just to avoid anti-spam rates. It worked so well and I'm using it in another applications too. I also save the cron jobs to the database to see some ougoing statistics like emails per second, number of emails sent, emails with errors, etc.

My idea is to add this feature to Moodle, saving all e-mails to the moodle database and use an scheduled task to send them in packages. Forum already have this feature, but it´s a great idea to setup this for all e-mail jobs.

Thanks.

Attachment Screenshot_2020-08-18 MOODLE NEOA Administration Users Accounts Bulk user actions.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to José Renato Castro Milanez

Re: Scheduled bulk e-mails

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think that is the role of an MTA, not Moodle. You should get an MTA installed next to your Moodle and use it to queue the emails for the next hop.

In reply to José Renato Castro Milanez

Re: Scheduled bulk e-mails

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Did you investigate the effect of SMTP session limit (smtpmaxbulk) ?
About the SMTP server, Gmail is not a proper SMTP server. You'll have much more control with your own MTA like Sendmail, Exim or Postfix.