Force student to answer specific Questions out of many essay questions in a Quiz

Force student to answer specific Questions out of many essay questions in a Quiz

by Buhari Alhassan -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I would like to ask if I can restrict the student to the number of questions they can answer in a quiz. For example, the quiz Instruction is Answer Questions 1 (Compulsory) and any other 3 questions, I want to disable the last questions response box once student fulfils the quiz instruction or alert the student during submission that he can only answer Question 1 and any other 3 when he entered response in all of the questions.

Many thank for your help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Buhari Alhassan

Re: Force student to answer specific Questions out of many essay questions in a Quiz

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Buhari,
if I understood your scenario correctly, using the categories and the random questions would do. Organize the questions into categories (f.i. "Compulsory" and "Random"). Then, configure the quiz so that it adds 1 question from the category "Compulsory" and 3 from the Category "Random".
If what you want is to give students the option to pick those additional 3 questions from a presented set of questions, one option is to set the maximum grade of the quiz to the sum of the compulsory question + 3 additional questions, and maybe including a sensible timing so that students cannot answer a lot more than 4 questions and, even if they do, those extra answers do not help to add points to the final grade.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Force student to answer specific Questions out of many essay questions in a Quiz

by Buhari Alhassan -
Many thanks for your suggestion Beatriz Rojo. However, the challenge with the approach in your suggestion is that the Quiz with automatically recalculate the mark for each question to suit the maximum grade in the quiz since its an essay questions. For instance, if 50 marks are alloted to question 1, the quiz may reduce it to 39 or 42 if the maximum grade is set to lessthan the total marks of all questions in the quiz. This will put student that answer all questions at adavnage and those that follow the instruction at disadvantage. If Possible is there any approach where if the student answer 3 questions the last question will be deactivated automatically.
I appreciate your support.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Maybe use assignment? Submissions can be in-line text or upload submissions. Then you grade and decide how many points they get. You can add commentary about how many points they got on each individual question.

Also, if you do random questions as @Beatriz recommends, the system randomly assigns 3 questions. They don't pick. Her second option is doable, too, they do pick , but you have to manually grade, so you tell it how many points they get for each one.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Buhari Alhassan -
Hi Melanie,
Many thanks for your reply.
The scenario is this: The student is presented with 4 essay question and they are expected to answer 3 out of the 4 essay questions. Now Teacher manually grade those essay questions, We configure it that teacher can not see student ID during manual grading. The question is this: Teacher can not know how many questions each student answered since the grading is question-based, not student-based. Now teacher ended-up grading all of the questions and student that did not follow instructions and answered all questions now have an advantage of scoring extra mark, This is usually discovered by the moderators that have access to view student ID and Name after the manual grading.
So if we can discard the excess questions during submission or disable the remaining essay questions response box whenever the student answers the required questions it will be great.

Many thanks once again.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Interesting problem, Buhari. Out of curiosity, if you were to do this "in person," wouldn't you have the same problem? I am far from an expert on this, but it seems that you might need some kind of custom code.