Formulas question type plugin - 10th anniversary

Formulas question type plugin - 10th anniversary

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ten years ago today, Hon Wai Lau introduced the Formulas question type plugin: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=155989 and Jean-Michel Védrine was the lead maintainer until recently.

Today, the plugin is installed on 927 sitesThanks to Hon Wai for this wonderful question type and to Jean-Michel for ensuring the updates and upgrades.

Average of ratings:Useful (5)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Formulas question type plugin - 10th anniversary

by Bernat Martinez -
I agree that Formulas is a wonderful question type, so we are very grateful to Hon Wai, Jean-Michel... and Dominique too
Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Having been retired from teaching for five years this summer, my only regret was that I did not try to use the Formulas question type until it had already been available for three years. It was so nice to be able to set up enough "random" items such that every student in my lab got what appeared to be totally different questions. Of all the question types available, it would have to be in my top three types to use.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'Today, the plugin is installed on 927 sites.'
That is good, but why are there not more installations for such a useful plugin?
In reply to Marcus Green

by AL Rachels -
I see the same limited usage for the MooTyper plugin. Only Moodle sites with people interested in teaching some form of typing, have the plugin installed. Same for a math question type. There are many more Moodle sites having nothing to do with math, than there are sites used to teach math. Therefore, there are very few sites overall that install the formulas question type. An additional problem is that not too many people take the time to go searching through all the plugins to see just what there is available. (currently showing 1715 plugins available for download) Even doing a search can give very limited results depending on the words you search for. Just did a search for "math" and Formulas came up as number 20 in the list, which means that some folks might not ever see it due to just not scrolling down far enough.
Average of ratings:Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Guess whose installation uses both the Formulas and Mootyper plugin. smile

The first time I promoted Formulas (than called Coordinates) in our local Moodle group was in October 2010! And thanks to all the people who did the programming and documentation, I'm still using it as a vital part in my math classes (junior secondary school).
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Marcus,

927 is still not that bad. But you are absolutely right, the Formulas question type deserves to be better known. This is why I undertook to promote it a little, for example by highlighting here its 10 years of existence.

Hon Wai Lau, Hana for friends, a young quantum physicist created this plugin while she was a graduate student at the University of Hong Kong. Her initiative is remarkable. The work of Jean-Michel Védrine who has ensured its maintenance and upgrading for many years is also to be appreciated.

The Formulas question type is one of the best for quizzes in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields because it allows, among other things, to very easily randomize the data of the questions. It is also very easy to learn and use, and at the same time has very powerful features.

Here are the main activities planned for the coming years regarding this plugin:

1. Continuous improvement of the documentation site ↗
  2. Additions to language packs
  3. Regular maintenance
  4. Several improvements to the question itself.
I encourage anyone who works in STEM to try the Formulas question type plugin ↗.
Average of ratings:Useful (3)

by Marcus Green -
'927 is still not that bad'
It's great but it could benefit so many more people
'a young quantum physicist created this plugin while she was a graduate student at the University of Hong Kong.'
Oh dear, we swim in the assumptions of our society, I had always assumed Hon Wai Lau was a he sad
I imagine a MMA style fight between STACK and Formulas where both win because...

by Marcus Green -
Would people be more likely to try it if there was a statement of what it offers that is not available in the core question types that relate to numbers and Maths?
In reply to Marcus Green

by H Singh -
As someone who was forced to consider using this plugin very recently, this plugin is potentially more powerful, but its UI is not as friendly and elegant as that of calculated question type, which seems to let you focus more on the content than the way in which to express the logic. Also, the way of using this for multiple correct (and incorrect) potential answers is inferior (in the sense that the UI imposes a workflow that will generate more errors for a normal human being) than the calculated question type. The units handling is similarly convoluted. The features are there, and probably more numerous than calculated, but they do not appear to do any favors to a harried Physics or Engineering instructor pressed for time. Fortunately, I figured out how to make the calculated question type do what I want, and I did not have to learn this. Formulas does allow you to use parts far more naturally than calculated, and the difference there is telling.

If I had to pick a programming language paradigm for comparison (restricted to string manipulation), calculated is python to formulas' perl. Somewhat less power but much easier to use.
In reply to H Singh

by Dominique Bauer -
As someone who was forced to consider using this plugin very recently...

Too bad you weren't "forced" to read the documentation and try the Formulas question, which you obviously didn't.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is about paying tribute to Hon Wai Lau, the creator of the plugin, and Jean-Michel Védrine, its maintainer for ten years, for their hard and excellent work. This thread is about the 10th anniversary celebration of the Formulas question.

Thank you for your post because it confirms that this is indeed a celebration, because what would a real celebration be if there wasn't a killjoy who gives his "expert" opinion? Anyway.

Thank you Hana (Hon Wai) and Jean-Michel, and let's celebrate, Bernat, AL, Matthias and all the others who appreciate being able to use this splendid plugin.

Cheers to you all.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Canada_Day_2016_Fireworks_(27929885402).jpg

CC: Attribution, Share alike - Author: BumFluff2009 - Fireworks at Bill Reid Millennium Amphitheater, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Canada_Day_2016_Fireworks_(27929885402).jpg

by H Singh -
I was answering a question, in case you did not notice.

There is nothing wrong with promoting or even celebrating a plugin on a 10-year anniversary. It is quite another to take issue with an assessment from someone who is not as invested in it as you probably are. Every piece of software has its upsides and downsides, and I have noted both in my assessment.