Individualize the number of answers in Multiple Choice?

Individualize the number of answers in Multiple Choice?

av Christoph B -
Antall svar: 1

Hello,

we want to offer online exams for certificate courses. For this purpose, we plan to use Moodle quiz with Multiple Choice. In our questions, the number of the correct answers to be chosen is often already predetermined. Example:

"Name three advantages of XY"

Then there are five possible answers, for example. For every question answered correctly, the student gets one point. We don't want the All-Or-Nothing solution, so that only the exactly right combination gets a point. Instead, the student gets 0.67 points for two out of three correct answers.

To avoid the scenario "user ticks everything", we want to individualize the number of possible answers, for example: you can only choose three answers out of five in question 1 and two out of four in question 2 and so on... In other words: It should then be technically impossible to choose more than the number of the correct answers indicated in the question.

Is there a solution for this, e.g. a plugin? The selection "Allow multiple answers" does not help us here...

Thanks for tips

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Christoph B

Re: Individualize the number of answers in Multiple Choice?

av Dominique Bauer -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers
Hello Christoph,

I don't think there is such a plugin, but I could be wrong. I also think that modifying the multiple choice question to do what you want is probably not that easy. I therefore suggest the following:

Tell students what the number of correct choices is and that if they select more answers than that number, a deduction will be applied for the incorrect answers.

For example, for three correct choices, the mark for the correct choices should be 0.33 and that for the incorrect choices should be -0.33 (i.e. negative). That way, the score for the questions will always be either 0, 0.33, 0.67 or 1, regardless of the total number of choices offered and the number of answers selected by the student.

For two correct choices, the mark for the correct choices should be 0.5 and that for the incorrect choices should be -0.5, and so on.
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (2)